PDA

View Full Version : 2 groove Garand barrels

ZBeast
10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
I am currently laid up with no knee. (long story) As I have lots of time and pretty much immobile I am reading. Real books on paper! One publication is an old war department technical manual. TM9-1275 to be precise. Now as I have gone through this more than once there is one paragraph that has me questioning some of the advice and information that I have gotten regarding the existence of two groove Garand barrels. The general consensus is that the Garand never had this type of barrel and any found are a hybrid of demilled Garands and 1903 surplus barrels. However,the manual states TM9-1275,Section 5, paragraph 5, Data a. Rifling:

Number of grooves...........................4-rifles of old mfr. 2-rifles of new mfr.

Now remember this manual is the 1947 updated version so what is old/new is subject to interpretation. This information has led me to believe the the Garand rifle was fitted with new, two groove barrels at some time in the manufacturing or refurbishing process. Now the questions. Who made these barrels? What arsenals were doing the refurbishing at this time? Are there any records of how many of these barrels were produced and used? I have a two groove barrel that is in excellent condition but due to some of the information I have received, I have been wary of using it. If it is indeed a true USGI replacement barrel it will have a place in an upcoming build. Any and all information, guesses, rumours or other tidbits are welcome and appreciated. Thanks,ZB.

timshufflin
10-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Let's see a picture of your barrel. I would specifically like to see a photo of the front end, sans gas cylinder, and a picture of the rear end right after the bulbous part of the chamber where it narrows down to the slender portion.

I have seen many two groove barrels. All I have seen were two piece barrels with the tells of the braze line at the mend line and the poor machining at the thread are for the gas lock.

ZBeast
10-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Let's see a picture of your barrel. I would specifically like to see a photo of the front end, sans gas cylinder, and a picture of the rear end right after the bulbous part of the chamber where it narrows down to the slender portion.

I have seen many two groove barrels. All I have seen were two piece barrels with the tells of the braze line at the mend line and the poor machining at the thread are for the gas lock.

You are a cruel taskmaster! Ask I guy with no knee, using a walker and or crutches to get into a workshop that is now filled with building materials and new appliances to find a barrel in a box.:) I will try to find a photo for you.

timshufflin
10-14-2015, 07:53 PM
No worries, take your time! If you can't do it, you can't do it.