PDA

View Full Version : Chasing tail...

cuppednlocked
11-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Chasing tail will always have side effects.

This guy was keeping a doe locked down so nobody else could get a shot. Unfortunately for him, I was waiting and took mine.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/cuppednlocked/DSC02043_zps70hlxkdv.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/cuppednlocked/media/DSC02043_zps70hlxkdv.jpg.html)

There were some younger bucks hanging around so I believe one of them got lucky last night!

canes7
11-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Very Nice!

cuppednlocked
11-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Backstraps on the grill!!!

seaninmich
11-21-2015, 08:12 PM
WOW. that's a beauty!!!

timshufflin
11-21-2015, 09:15 PM
It's just so darn cute! Wish Sean would get one like that :(

Prince Humperdink
11-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Wow Matt,that's a great buck!

timshufflin
11-22-2015, 12:33 PM
You know cupped, you have NO story. Every good deer story starts with "There I was".

cuppednlocked
11-22-2015, 01:11 PM
I'll work on it!

cuppednlocked
11-22-2015, 09:45 PM
I gave Hump a hard time for no story, I should have known better!

Here goes:

I finally had a chance to hit the woods early after DST ended. Wind was perfect, in my face and blowing into the beaver pond. Had a dink 4 pt come in around 4pm. He stayed for ~15 minutes checking trails and smelled something good and headed upwind on a mission.

Next up was one of the small symmetrical 8's on the "do not shoot" list. A little later I saw movement to my right (E) and picked up a doe coming across the shallow part of the beaver pond. Then I saw the antlers sticking up over the brush. He sat behind some trees for an eternity and finally took 2 steps forward. He was ~60yds away. I put the red dot on the high shoulder figuring the angle would take the top of the left lung and the bottom of the right.

I squeezed the trigger and watched him mule kick. He took 3 big bounds to the N staying on the dry side and I lost him in the trees. A few seconds later I heard the thrashing. All said, he didn't go more than 30 yards from the shot. Tracking was like watching a slasher film. As I stood over him I took a minute to admire him, gave a silent prayer and started looking for the best route to get him out.

The 1oz solid copper sabot did a number on him.

Dragging him to the logging road was a bitch. I got the truck and loaded him up. Unfortunately the ground was saturated and my truck slid into a deep rut leading to a washout on the way to the gate. I called some friends to get me out. One only has a 2wd truck and he got stuck in a puddle. It took us 4 hours to get him out and 5 min for my truck. By the time I dressed the deer and got everything iced down I was home at 2:30am.

He made me work for him for sure.

$12 worth of pressure washing at the do-it-yourself bay and the truck is mostly clean. I don't know what I owe my buddies for helping but I'll nver hear the end of it.

timshufflin
11-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Excellente, the story made me feel like I was there helping out without having to get dirty:)

Imagine if the story started this way though,

There I was,

I finally had a chance to hit the woods early after DST ended. Wind was perfect, in my face and blowing into the beaver pond. Had a dink 4 pt come in around 4pm. He stayed for ~15 minutes checking trails and smelled something good and headed upwind on a mission.

Next up was one of the small symmetrical 8's on the "do not shoot" list. A little later I saw movement to my right (E) and picked up a doe coming across the shallow part of the beaver pond. Then I saw the antlers sticking up over the brush. He sat behind some trees for an eternity and finally took 2 steps forward. He was ~60yds away. I put the red dot on the high shoulder figuring the angle would take the top of the left lung and the bottom of the right.

I squeezed the trigger and watched him mule kick. He took 3 big bounds to the N staying on the dry side and I lost him in the trees. A few seconds later I heard the thrashing. All said, he didn't go more than 30 yards from the shot. Tracking was like watching a slasher film. As I stood over him I took a minute to admire him, gave a silent prayer and started looking for the best route to get him out.

The 1oz solid copper sabot did a number on him.

Dragging him to the logging road was a bitch. I got the truck and loaded him up. Unfortunately the ground was saturated and my truck slid into a deep rut leading to a washout on the way to the gate. I called some friends to get me out. One only has a 2wd truck and he got stuck in a puddle. It took us 4 hours to get him out and 5 min for my truck. By the time I dressed the deer and got everything iced down I was home at 2:30am.

He made me work for him for sure.

$12 worth of pressure washing at the do-it-yourself bay and the truck is mostly clean. I don't know what I owe my buddies for helping but I'll nver hear the end of it.

musketjon
11-23-2015, 10:59 AM
What about the '' Y'all ain't gonna' believe this shit'' part of the story?
Jon

canes7
11-23-2015, 11:01 AM
"Hold my beer"....

cuppednlocked
11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
What about the '' Y'all ain't gonna' believe this shit'' part of the story?
Jon

That should be "understood" with the truck getting stuck in the mud on the way out... :)

"Hold my beer"....

Don't think that I didn't enjoy a Trappistes Rochefort #6 when I finally got home that night.

cuppednlocked
11-23-2015, 02:27 PM