PDA

View Full Version : Changing a Carbine

Frederick
06-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Greetings All! My first post. A friend of mine bought a rack grade CMP Bavarian carbine and is unhappy with it. The rifle has a type II barrel band, he wants a type III with bayonet lug. It also has very dark wood, he wants walnut finish.
Any ideas ? I thought about trading him for one of mine but I'm not that generous.

Orlando
06-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Welcome to the forum
Not sure exactly what you question is? Do you want to know how to change the barrel band?

Frederick
06-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I guess what I'm asking is if the guy insists on changing his barrel band, is this something Shuffs does? Should I talk him into sending the whole thing to Tim?

Orlando
06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm sure Shuff can do it for you.
There is a front sight removal tool,sometimes it is possible to do without it.
Punch out the crosspin in the front sight and you "may" be able to drive off the site with a hammer and block of hardwood or piece of brass. Personally any I have removed needed the sight tool, they were tight

Frederick
06-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks, I'll suggest he give Shuffs a call.

mixmaster
06-25-2011, 03:52 PM
If you have only one you plan on doing Shuffs the Man! I have the tool and I think I've used it since retiring maybe three times. So it sits in my work bench defying me to find a use for it.
Mix

Prince Humperdink
06-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the Forum.The wood can be lightened often times with a good cleaning.Orlando has a great method.Bayonet bands are very easy to install once the front sight is removed.
Ryan

Orlando
06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I have the tool and I think I've used it since retiring maybe three times. So it sits in my work bench defying me to find a use for it.
Mix

My USGI Carbine sight tools now reside at Shuffs Manor