PDA

View Full Version : Sight Screw Cap...

ZBeast
03-29-2016, 09:20 PM
..is there a way to remove the cap from a front sight screw without it becoming fubared?

I was thinking to try and drill into the screw from the front and get a small square extraction tool into from there and get the screw to push out the cap. Feasible?

timshufflin
03-30-2016, 04:58 AM
I will pray for you, I doubt it though. I don't believe you'd have the strength in a screw extractor to back it out from the other side. I always have to tear them out.

jak
03-30-2016, 05:16 AM
..is there a way to remove the cap from a front sight screw without it becoming fubared?

I was thinking to try and drill into the screw from the front and get a small square extraction tool into from there and get the screw to push out the cap. Feasible?

Why do you want to remove the cap ?

Orlando
03-30-2016, 07:28 AM
You will destroy it if you try and remove it. Thats the reason for them in the first place . USGI replacements are available if you must remove it

musketjon
03-30-2016, 09:47 AM
I have a cap, a proper front sight with rebated head. How does one install the cap?
Thanks
Jon
Btw it's a 9-42 SA so the sight seal would be proper.

Orlando
03-30-2016, 05:10 PM
Jon,
There is a actual arsenal tool for the job. Not sure if you could carefully tap it on with block of wood and a hammer without denting it or not.

ZBeast
03-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Why do you want to remove the cap ?
It is not on a gas cylinder.

musketjon
03-30-2016, 10:43 PM
Jon,
There is a actual arsenal tool for the job. Not sure if you could carefully tap it on with block of wood and a hammer without denting it or not.
Thanks, Bill. I thought maybe I could use padded channel locks or vise grips.
Jon

ZBeast
03-31-2016, 01:47 AM
Thanks, Bill. I thought maybe I could use padded channel locks or vise grips.
Jon
Try a small 'C' clamp. More control of pressure while setting the cap.

Orlando
03-31-2016, 05:54 AM
Try a small 'C' clamp. More control of pressure while setting the cap.

Thats a good idea

musketjon
03-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Zbeast,
Great idea. The only problem with that method is that I didn't think of it--Lol.
Seriously, it sounds plausible.
Thanks
Jon

Punch The Clown
04-01-2016, 07:03 PM

If you drill into the screw why not let compressed air be your friend? Compressed air is stronger than Superman.