PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to Stu, for Feiblings shoe dye trick

paid4c4
06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Recently while talking about wood Stu mentioned diluting Feiblings maroon shoe dye to give rifle stocks that reddish colored military old stock look. I bought a bottle and tried it and it works great. I applied two coats of Minwax Special Walnut, when dried I mixed Feiblings 50/50 with paint thinner. I applied a very light coat to the stock and instantly the reddish colored popped out. After that dried I applied one coat of Tom's 1/3 mix and followed instructions. I just applied the second coat of Tom's and as soon as it dries I'll take some photos. The stock is meaty but I buy them from a supplier who I see at Louisville and Wilmington gun shows. He sells the stocks as "Wenig Seconds" with metal for $30. They take a little work but for the money they're hard to beat and if you subtracted the price of the metal the stocks are almost free.
Bill

Punch The Clown
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Every now and then I get something right.

mixmaster
06-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Wear gloves and do not wear a white tee shirt. My wife is still laughing at my efforts as I got as much dye on me as I did on the wood I was working on.Very good price on the stocks.
Mix