PDA

View Full Version : New Guy... Saving Funds for the Mini G

Water Monkey
05-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Hey Guys,

New guy here. I purchased 2 CMP special grades the past few years and I was working on one to be a general shooter and another one I was going to make into more of a NM configuration to get the best accuracy possible (NM sights, possible bedding the stock, trigger job, etc).

I had the idea of making my general shooter more of a scout type configuration so I put on an Ultimak scout rail, Nikon LER adj scope and a SEI muzzle brake:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7629/16807331247_bf1296caab_h.jpg

Shoots great on the bench but it's just off balance and the weight is now more forward which really makes my support hand tired after shooting standing, sitting and prone.

Came across the Mini G and I bet with the shortened barrel the weight will be better distributed. Also, just considering putting on a Primary Arms Red dot as a lot of the added weight is coming from the scope. I really should have just did a fixed magnification scope.

Anyway, I'm saving up for a service grade and should have my order at CMP by the end of the year and hopefully have it over to Shuff this time next year! Looking to do the .308 barrel conversion and transfer my Ultimak rail and SEI Brake to the Mini G and return that CMP special to a CMP match regulation rifle.

Been looking through the forums and trying to find answers to my questions the best I can.

One thing I did have a question that I cant find the answer to is this:

It seems Shuff uses the Schuster gas plug for the Mini G. Has anyone used the Garand Gear version on the build? Or does this not properly control the gas pressure from the shortened barrel and shortened op rod?

Thanks and great information here for Garands!

Regards,

Water Monkey

PS

I'm behind enemy lines in NY... have a 3-4 year plan to escape to free America with my family.

timshufflin
05-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Hey Guys,

New guy here. I purchased 2 CMP special grades the past few years and I was working on one to be a general shooter and another one I was going to make into more of a NM configuration to get the best accuracy possible (NM sights, possible bedding the stock, trigger job, etc).

I had the idea of making my general shooter more of a scout type configuration so I put on an Ultimak scout rail, Nikon LER adj scope and a SEI muzzle brake:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7629/16807331247_bf1296caab_h.jpg

Shoots great on the bench but it's just off balance and the weight is now more forward which really makes my support hand tired after shooting standing, sitting and prone.

Came across the Mini G and I bet with the shortened barrel the weight will be better distributed. Also, just considering putting on a Primary Arms Red dot as a lot of the added weight is coming from the scope. I really should have just did a fixed magnification scope.

Anyway, I'm saving up for a service grade and should have my order at CMP by the end of the year and hopefully have it over to Shuff this time next year! Looking to do the .308 barrel conversion and transfer my Ultimak rail and SEI Brake to the Mini G and return that CMP special to a CMP match regulation rifle.

Been looking through the forums and trying to find answers to my questions the best I can.

One thing I did have a question that I cant find the answer to is this:

It seems Shuff uses the Schuster gas plug for the Mini G. Has anyone used the Garand Gear version on the build? Or does this not properly control the gas pressure from the shortened barrel and shortened op rod?

Thanks and great information here for Garands!

Regards,

Water Monkey

PS

I'm behind enemy lines in NY... have a 3-4 year plan to escape to free America with my family.

Garand Gear is a no on the Mini-G

Water Monkey
05-06-2016, 09:05 AM
OK thanks for the reply

Orlando
05-08-2016, 06:53 AM
I dont know wwhere they got the idea but found it interesting that the Garand Gears gas screw resembles a BM59 Gas screw

Water Monkey
05-08-2016, 08:48 AM
I dont know wwhere they got the idea but found it interesting that the Garand Gears gas screw resembles a BM59 Gas screw

Yeah I realized it was mentioned a few times on this board when my dumb ass finally figured out the search function on the Garand Gear plug. Interesting.

BTW I really appreciate the How To videos on this board. I feel like I can strip a bolt and trigger group with confidence now!

Orlando
05-08-2016, 09:05 AM
There are alot of guys here on the forum with many years of knowledge. If you need any help or have any questions dont be afraid to ask
Welcome to the forum

timshufflin
05-09-2016, 07:06 AM
I should say that once in a while the garand gear BM59 style screw does work.

Water Monkey
09-02-2016, 03:40 PM
ugh anticipation is killing me. Mini G should be here any day now.

timshufflin
09-02-2016, 04:12 PM
ugh anticipation is killing me. Mini G should be here any day now.

Water Monkey, are you from NY? Are you the guy I talked to about .308 barrels just getting in?

Water Monkey
09-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Water Monkey, are you from NY? Are you the guy I talked to about .308 barrels just getting in?

Yeah that's me

timshufflin
09-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Today could be the day.

Water Monkey
09-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Today could be the day.

Sweet! Can't wait.

Water Monkey
09-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Got it today. Looks awesome!

Post pics later. Had a new stock to drop it in but looks like the stock ferrule needs to be modified. So I'll switch out the one shuff modified.

Water Monkey
09-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Lol what a gigantic pain in the ass. Had to relieve wood in the stock where the spacer block was. Took me a little bit.

timshufflin
09-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Lol what a gigantic pain in the ass. Had to relieve wood in the stock where the spacer block was. Took me a little bit.

You didn't really need to do that Sir. I put that block in as a courtesy but it wouldn't have been needed for function.

Water Monkey
09-04-2016, 09:15 AM
You didn't really need to do that Sir. I put that block in as a courtesy but it wouldn't have been needed for function.

No big deal, sir.

I got her in the new stock. Posted on the mini g picture thread

checkmate19
09-04-2016, 03:04 PM
I love it, very nice looking, looking forward to reports on how she shoots with that set up.