View Full Version : Demilled Gas Cylinders, Worth the Bother?

ZBeast
09-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Has anyone worked with the gas cylinder/lock welded demills? Are they worth the bother? Looking at a few and the front sight and stacking swivel are simple to salvage but is the gas lock screw cooked in? Can the lock be cut from the cylinder and those parts be repaired? Thanks,ZB.

seaninmich
09-10-2016, 07:15 PM
I got a bunch of them. Swivel and sight and no brainer. The rat is iffy. I salvaged a couple out of 30 or so. Mine were bad. The weld is done by drilling a 1/4" hole through the gc, lock, and into the screw, and then welding it all up.

Prince Humperdink
09-11-2016, 10:00 AM
I've done about 100 or so,and all but a few I salvaged.The ones that were "sorta:bad,I filled the voids with silver braze and then filed to match and chased the threads.I use them on most of my rifles now,as most guaged great.In all of these I got narrow and wide base WRA's,IHC's,wide and narrow base SA's and HRA's,and even a few with sight seal still installed .I came across some that didn't even have the weld penetrate and some that unscrewed without any work...now,as Sean said,some are really bad and were doomed because they were burnt through or were out of spec so by all means not all were good,but some ended up looking so well that you have to look hard to tell it was salvaged.
Ryan

ZBeast
09-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info. The price seems fair just to get the swivel and sight. I have time to putter with cylinder and if it works,good. If not, I have a paperweight.

Prince Humperdink
09-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. The price seems fair just to get the swivel and sight. I have time to putter with cylinder and if it works,good. If not, I have a paperweight.

If you need any tips,just let me know.I've got the process down ;)
Ryan