PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a question

KyleJ
04-03-2017, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone, here's a silly question but I'm conflicted. I'm currently saving for a mini g conversion on a SA garand. My question is do I need to do a rail for a scope on it? I'm under 40 with 20/20. I can hit at 150m with it right now (longest range around here). Is it worth it or just get the conversion and deal with rail later?

Thanks

Punch The Clown
04-04-2017, 12:21 AM
When mounting a rail I know that Tim has to make a mill cut to the op rod for clearance. If you think that you may want to put on a rail down the road I would have Tim mod out the op rod when he builds it. That way you have your options. On the other hand you have the vision for iron sights.

timshufflin
04-04-2017, 05:20 AM
Clown Puncher is correct. If that rail will ever come into play, get the oprod mod done. It's very expensive to do it later. If you don't need a rail then I wouldn't get one, they add weight.

HerkyBird
04-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Yep. Get the rail. I didn't, using the same thought process that you are. "Oh I'll just have Tim do it later if I decide to." I didn't ask the question, so I didn't know how expensive it'd be.

Jimbo Slice
04-30-2017, 03:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmnmvDl-ao

redheep
05-03-2017, 04:37 PM
If your decision to put a rail and a scope on it is based on accuracy, don't add weight to your rifle on that account. I have a BM59 front sight on mine with a thinner blade and I shoot 2" groups at 100 yds with greek surplus. I much prefer the way the Mini-G looks without a scout scope on it.

If you want a scout scope on it, then do like Tim and the others have suggested and get it done during the process. Just don't do it because you're concerned you can't hit anything, that's certainly not a problem.

In either case, you'll love it. It's my favorite rifle in my safe.

AZ_Gun_Nut
05-04-2017, 08:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmnmvDl-ao

Jimbo that was awesome! I was introduced to the B52's music back in '79 when I was in the Army and a buddy of mine was into them.