PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on this stock?

Orlando
06-29-2011, 05:22 PM
I may have asked this before but didnt get any answers so here goes again.
This is a CMP Garand that I did some horse trading from a private individual
Stock has the letter "R" stamped in various locations. Any ideas what it stands for or have you ever seen another like it?
Thanks
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-017S.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-021S.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-022S-1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-027S-1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-026S.jpg

canes7
06-29-2011, 05:38 PM
It's a Remington. :)

mixmaster
06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
RIA is Rock Island Arsenal, And that's all I know. It might be someones initials, But I do recall that they rebuilt M1s there and I had a RIA 03 so I'm only guessing. Hope someone has an answer.
Mix

timshufflin
06-29-2011, 08:23 PM
I have no facts but my inclination is to go with the mighty mixmaster.

Orlando
06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
But why the placement of the "R" in those locations. Just doesnt make sense????

timshufflin
06-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Is the "R" the same font as the "R" in "RIA"?

Orlando
06-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Tim, I'll have to dig her out of the safe and look
I was thinking RIA was Raritan Arsenal ???

timshufflin
06-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Orlando, I know it as Raritan Arsenal also but when mixmaster types, I listen :) mixmaster actually lived this stuff and he might know something we don't on this one?

Orlando
06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Orlando, I know it as Raritan Arsenal also but when mixmaster types, I listen :) mixmaster actually lived this stuff and he might know something we don't on this one?

It wouldnt take much to know more than me.

BRUTUS
06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Ruger Prototype?

Kidding aside, isn't RA Raritan, and naturally, RIA Rock Island.....?

Punch The Clown
06-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Arsenal Rebuild Marks:

AA = Augusta Arsenal
AN = Anniston Arsenal
BA = Benecia Arsenal
MR = Mt Rainer Ordinance Depot
OG = Ogden Arsenal
RA = Raritan Arsenal
RIA = Rock Island Arsenal
RRA = Red River Arsenal
SA = Springfield Arsenal
SAA = San Antonio Arsenal

mixmaster
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
The odds are that you will find two font sizes as the stamps came RIA as a block And R by itself also the single letters and numbers came in several sizes. Don't forget the large size may not have fit a small part or round surface you were marking. Boredom may account for the numerous stamps on the stock. Most arsenal workers were civilians and saw the end coming, so why rush to finish. I hate to say this but I did have civilians working for me and Mondays and Fridays were hell to get them to do their work properly.
Mix

Orlando
06-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Thats for the info, I will post more closeup pics

Rick B
06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Why could it have not been a guy named Ron or Rick that did it so no one took his rifle or stock? This is a Overton replacement stock and nothing more. The letter R honestly has nothing special about it and you have been asking on various forums about this stock for months. I'm guessing when you get the answer you want you may be satisfied but this stock is nothing special I swear.

Ok here it is, "R"obert Kennedy owned this and he used it in the civil war and was part of the "R"ubber "R"iders submarine crew. They attacked "R"oanoke Louisiana then and he lived a long life until Sirhan Sirhan. But just before he died he holler "R"ough "R"iders "R"ule. The Family decided to put the "R"'s on the stock in memory of his last words before they gave it to Donald Trump. Donald sold it and started his empire as we know it today. He is looking for the stock Like Papa Johns was looking for his Camaro and is willing to pay 1 billion dollars for it. I Kid I Kid. Rick B

canes7
06-30-2011, 09:40 AM
I think maybe the owners dog was a "R"hodesian "R"idgeback that like to be "R"idden "R"ough in the "R"ump.

Just so I can say I made my best effort my guess would be that stock went thru the hands of the Greeks and they put it there.

Rick B
06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I think maybe the owners dog was a "R"hodesian "R"idgeback that like to be "R"idden "R"ough in the "R"ump.

Just so I can say I made my best effort my guess would be that stock went thru the hands of the Greeks and they put it there.

And you know what they say about the Greeks!

Prince Humperdink
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Most obviously Roger Pedactor.He was warned several times about over stamping His initials onto Government Property,but was a valued employee who never took sick days and always volunteered for double shifts.Roger retired from RIA,but not before leaving His mark throughout the facility.Roger died peacefully in 1989 of natural causes and left behind 6 children,18 grandchildren,and 47 great grandchildren(twins run in the family).

Orlando
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Why could it have not been a guy named Ron or Rick that did it so no one took his rifle or stock? This is a Overton replacement stock and nothing more. The letter R honestly has nothing special about it and you have been asking on various forums about this stock for months. I'm guessing when you get the answer you want you may be satisfied but this stock is nothing special I swear.
Rick B

What answer would that be Rick? I never said it was anything special,just trying to learn anything I can about Garands. I am always open minded and ready to learn from someone who is willing to share info. Although anymore it seems so called experts are less willing to share what they know.
I highly doubt that its someones Initial. Why would somone put their initial on those areas? Just doesnt make sense.

Orlando
06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Is the "R" the same font as the "R" in "RIA"?

Here you go Tim, closeup bigger pics
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture069.jpg
Guess the guy double initialed here :)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture068.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture071.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture070.jpg

Rick B
06-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Orlando,, experts are tired of the same questions like your stock. I have answered it twice on tow different forums as many others did. You keep asking the same question over and over. From my point of view it seems you are not happy with the answers you have received and for sure not the ones I gave which are the simplest. The only conclusion I can come up with is that you are going to keep asking this until you get the answer you want. Sorry if you took offense to me tryign to explain this to you with some humor. Rick B

Rick B
06-30-2011, 12:22 PM
One quick note. The R on the grip is really a P that the guy who liked to stamp R's put a tail on as I can see. Rick B

Orlando
06-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Only answer I got form you and anyone else was they really didnt know. You keep saying I'm not happy with the answers I got. I really didnt get any. If you are tired of answering why did you?
I posted it again here thinking maybe someone else that hasnt seen it before would know as everyone doesnt always have all the answers
I'm just surprised the"experts" havent seen anything like this before

Rick B
06-30-2011, 01:19 PM
I have 200 stocks in my files with letters and symbols stamped all over them. Your stock is nothing rare nor new. Maybe I am a expert with the huge data base that I have. My answer stands as it has in the past. Inspector or put there to find in a rack if not Joe Plumbers initials at home for fun. There are no records other than that to show why they are on your stock or many hundreds of thousands of stocks. Rick B

Rick B
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
And again your stock clearly shows how the Proof P from rebuild was tailed to look like the R. We know no one at the factory did that. Rick B

Orlando
06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
I have 200 stocks in my files with letters and symbols stamped all over them. Your stock is nothing rare nor new. Maybe I am a expert with the huge data base that I have. My answer stands as it has in the past. Inspector or put there to find in a rack if not Joe Plumbers initials at home for fun. There are no records other than that to show why they are on your stock or many hundreds of thousands of stocks. Rick B

Finally a straight answer
Thank you

Orlando
06-30-2011, 02:08 PM
And again your stock clearly shows how the Proof P from rebuild was tailed to look like the R. We know no one at the factory did that. Rick B
The Letter you speak of , one is approx 3/16 tall the other 1/8" Was a P proof ever stamped to that height?

tljames
06-30-2011, 03:34 PM
"O" "R"idicule "R"eally "R"uns "R"ampant "R"ound here don't it?

Not trying to be a smart arse, I just can't help myself!

Good Luck in your quest brother! Thomas $toilet$

Orlando
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
"O" "R"idicule "R"eally "R"uns "R"ampant "R"ound here don't it?

Not trying to be a smart arse, I just can't help myself!

Good Luck in your quest brother! Thomas $toilet$

"R"oger on that, "R"eally does

Rick B
06-30-2011, 04:19 PM
There were a few smaller proof P's used. Early IHC had this instead of a circled P. The bottom of the grip had it on the stocks with the crossed cannons on the right side. When they moved the crossed cannons to the left side they started the Circle sanserif P [no little taps on ends] . Rick B

timshufflin
06-30-2011, 09:31 PM
By God that does look like a "P" with a tail added. Until the close up, I never saw it. Do we really need the vitreous comments though? This is exactly how
:SHTF:

A question here should never be looked at as some sort of waste of time. Rick, give Orlando love. Orlando, give Rick love. I'll just be sitting here being glad that it's not me being either snipped at or doing the snipping :)

Rick B
06-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Orlando's like that hot chick in school that you pick on thinking she will like you for being a idiot. Sooner or later you just put up with each other and later on find out you really did like each other. Hugs and Kiss's. Rick B

timshufflin
06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Orlando's like that hot chick in school that you pick on thinking she will like you for being a idiot. Sooner or later you just put up with each other and later on find out you really did like each other. Hugs and Kiss's. Rick B

DUDE, that's perfect!