PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like price fixing to me....

jbkf1003
11-30-2017, 09:38 PM
https://www.thegunwriter.com/23661/cmp-general-manager-can-expect-pay-surplus-1911/

Bob W
11-30-2017, 11:42 PM
https://www.thegunwriter.com/23661/cmp-general-manager-can-expect-pay-surplus-1911/

Aw JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ- Read This Article, this clown actually said they're going to keep the price starting up around $1000 to help keep the pistols out of the hands of criminals.

"All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.
Their values might be a little bit less, but we want some sort of threshold to prevent anyone from coming in off the street and plunking down $400."

Called it a "percieved value". Yeah, because I know any criminal who wants to commit a robbery would rather pay $400 for a piece of crap that may/may not fire than just grab a nice used Glock 19 for about $300.
As if junkies and criminals frequent CMP north.

OH MAN, no wonder the Libs think gun enthusiasts are idiots if this is the public face on it.

timshufflin
12-01-2017, 05:45 AM
I have to say, this CMP representative is a complete MORON. If his view is shared by others in the CMP, they are all a$$holes! dictating costs based on gun control motives is the worst kind of person I know.

jbkf1003
12-01-2017, 08:37 AM
I have to say, this CMP representative is a complete MORON. If his view is shared by others in the CMP, they are all a$$holes! dictating costs based on gun control motives is the worst kind of person I know.

Sounds like an excuse for price gauging to me.... Of course they don't want to have something happen and have the politicians pull their supply of free product.

canes7
12-01-2017, 09:27 AM
Isn't ~$1K normal for a GI 1911? If that's the going price and that's when the CMP is charging then does the reason really matter?

jbkf1003
12-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Now perhaps, but you have to remember they are about to increase supply, so price should drop. But the CMP can set the market because for all intensive purposes they have a monopoly on these products, there is no other new supply being introduced.

Guys on here have suggested that the price of Garands will actually drop once the CMP runs out. I'm starting to think this may be the case.

ordmm
12-01-2017, 01:53 PM
If the same trends that follow any CMP release, those sitting on piles of GI 1911/1911A1 parts will greatly benefit! The temptation by many CMP purchasers to make things "all correct", no matter how expensive, is legendary. Heck, even the CMP made some "all correct" (allegedly)....although their cost to do so was certainly a lot less.

Bob W
12-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Isn't ~$1K normal for a GI 1911? If that's the going price and that's when the CMP is charging then does the reason really matter?

I do feel it matters, for one thing, the gun control aspect/approach. The CMP (our people, right?) now presume to issue doctrine????
Another, yes, $1000 is not at all unheard of for a nice 1911. A NICE 1911. He as much as said the nice ones or any semblance of provenance will be more. "around $1000 minimum" is what he said.
And, indeed, with 100,000 pieces added to the market supply dictates drop.
Unless, like DeBeers controlled diamonds, you meter them out to increase demand under the pretense of inspection and grading time.
Hmmm... 10,000 units per yr divided by 52 weeks= 192 units p/wk. Divide by a 5 day week and thats 35-40 a day.
Pretty good chunk of work, 5 employees doing 1 hr per piece per day, but I don't think it would take that. And at $40,000.00 per day coming in I think they could hire a little extra help, as I have heard they do when other shipments come in.
And is there no loyalty or appreciation for our past tolerance? I for one, have received no great deals here. I just blow it off to promoting the sport as partially a contribution. And they don't even exist out here.
So yes, I feel it matters.

canes7
12-01-2017, 02:34 PM
A few thoughts come to mind:

"Buy the rifle, not the story"

"Whatever the market will bear."

and

"You don't have to buy them."

I do agree it's completely ridiculous for a CMP employee to give any credence whatsoever to any escalation of gun control by acknowledging it though. The only reason gun control measures get passed is because they (the anti's) listen to us when say we'd accept XXXX.

A $1k for a $1k pistol is a fair deal.

I probably wont be buying one as I don't think they are going to be worth $1k to me.

canes7
12-01-2017, 02:48 PM

and

I do agree it's completely ridiculous for a CMP employee to give any credence whatsoever to any escalation of gun control by acknowledging it though. The only reason gun control measures get passed is because they (the anti's) listen to us when say we'd accept XXXX.

I probably wont be buying one as I don't think they are going to be worth $1k to me.

Punch The Clown
12-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Why don't we start the "Battle Tested 1911 Collectors Association" and volunteer over at anniston to sort and grade the pistols?

Bob W
12-01-2017, 09:23 PM

and

I think it's great that we can disagree without being (too) disagreeable. Few thoughts come to my mind as well. (Occasionally, that is)

"Ship the grade rifle you sold, not the one in your hand"

"Whatever the inflated and manipulated market will bear"

"I certainly don't have to buy them" ....and don't, since my last "one more try" in 2011-

Tim, you saw the crown on that rifle you just did for me, would you have even fired it? I never did, it scared me, and not much does.

" $1000 for a $500 pistol is not a fair deal" ... I believe the phrase "shot out or busted up" was quoted, and admittedly inflating the price just isn't ok. And I'm with you, I won't be buying one either.
Thanks for your opinion, all valid points.

blfuller
05-15-2018, 12:57 PM
I just can't see spending that much for something that you have no idea what you will get.

Hal O'Peridol
08-13-2018, 06:52 AM
In the past two years I have bought 2 1911 series pistols, retail, for under what CMP is going to ask.

Girst one was at of all places, Cabela's. For 900 bucks I got a M1911 WWII light rebuild. Colt frame and slide, but not matching dates, All 1911 except for the barrel, grips and finish. Barrel was a High Standard contract replacement, grips were wartime brown plastic and the pistol had been parkerized. Came with a very nice USGI brown shoulder holster. The minimal wear on the pistol matched the areas on the holster would rub, both had been together for a long time,

The second one was a run of the mill USGI 1911A1, Remington Rand. Springfield replacement barrel. Thin park, but not refinished. Looked EXACTLY like the one I used to carry as unit armorer back in 1986-7.

Both cheaper than what CMP will want. I am happy with both.

Orlando
08-17-2018, 05:30 AM
In the past two years I have bought 2 1911 series pistols, retail, for under what CMP is going to ask.

Girst one was at of all places, Cabela's. For 900 bucks I got a M1911 WWII light rebuild. Colt frame and slide, but not matching dates, All 1911 except for the barrel, grips and finish. Barrel was a High Standard contract replacement, grips were wartime brown plastic and the pistol had been parkerized. Came with a very nice USGI brown shoulder holster. The minimal wear on the pistol matched the areas on the holster would rub, both had been together for a long time,

The second one was a run of the mill USGI 1911A1, Remington Rand. Springfield replacement barrel. Thin park, but not refinished. Looked EXACTLY like the one I used to carry as unit armorer back in 1986-7.

Both cheaper than what CMP will want. I am happy with both.

You did well then , not them normal prices I see

jason60chev
01-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Don't people buy M1s from CMP and have no idea....other than published grading criteria.....of what they will get?