PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Guard / Receiver "lock-in get mechanism" is Extremely Loose

JGW
12-09-2017, 07:18 PM
I have a beautiful M1 that was built by DGR. Everything about it is just as you would expect from a DGR built Garand. Except ..... the trigger guard / locking mechanism is so loose that when I fire a shot the entire trigger assembly falls out. Weird. Again, the receiver to stock fit is great.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it? I didn't buy it from Deans Gun Restoration, but from the gentleman who did buy it from Dean (so this isn't a warranty issue).

Perhaps, is there a spring in the trigger housing that may be to loose or .....?

Greg

jak
12-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Check the two locking lugs on the trigger guard. If they are "D" shaped, that is your problem.
You will need a new trigger guard.

Is this a new stock ? On older stocks the wood underneath the trigger housing gets compressed and
will cause the same problem. It should not be a problem on new stocks unless someone sanded the wood under
the trigger housing because it was very difficult to close the trigger guard.

JGW
12-09-2017, 11:54 PM
One of the locking lugs seems ever so slightly out of round. I wouldn't characterize it as a "D" shape, but one area is a little, very little, out of round.

The stock is a medium / semi fancy (beautiful) installed by Deans Gu Restoration when they built it.

There is some resistence in the last 30 degrees or so, and the is a positive "click" when it snaps closed. But it is easy, without using a rod or something, to pull up / "unclick" the trigger guard for removal of trigger group. Nothing like the resistance it takes to open the trigger group on my other Garand.

Orlando
12-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Sounds to me DGR took alittle to much wood off the stock. How long ago did they do the work? I would contact them

seaninmich
12-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Yeah, no way a new Stock set should ever be loose at all, let alone loose enough for the trigger group to drop out. Call DGR. Get a new Stock

JGW
12-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Thanks. I call them in the morning.

I took it back to the range today again to double check that I wasn't doing something to cause it to happen. Nope, first shot and entire trigger group is laying on the bench!

Since I didn't buy it from DGR originally, I doubt it would be covered by their warranty, but hopefully so.

And if not, since it is a very pretty stock, if I put a receiver / action (I.e., different rifle), from one of my other M1's, would glass bedding solve the problem? I know that would render the rifle non -JCG compliant, but it would let me use it as a beautiful rifle.

Greg

timshufflin
12-10-2017, 07:19 PM
It will not solve the loose part but it would solve the falling out part. Squeeze the trigger guard in a vise a bit so that it locks tighter in the rear of the housing. In fact, even with a proper fitting stock you may still have it fall out unless you do this.

JGW
12-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Ill try that. Thank you.

Greg

JGW
12-22-2017, 01:20 AM
I did the vise squeeze this evening. Tomorrow I will hit the range to see if I can now use my M1 as something more a very awkward single shot.

I may not have squeezed it enough; the lock up of the trigger guard still doesn't take as much force as my other M1s. But I figured doing too little at first, then needing to do a little more, beets doing to much then having to expand it a bit!

Even with the trigger locking up a little for tightly, the receiver noticibly moves around in the stock. One can actually and very noticeably move it back and forth enough that you can make it rattle by shaking the rifle back and forth.

Assuming DGR decides not to back it up and replace the stock (and under the warranty since I'm not the original buyer, they don't seem to have a legal obligation to help), but I can eventually squeeze the trigger guard together for a goo, tight, secure lock up, (thus leaving the loose wood / receiver problem it seems I have x options:

1) replace the stock and have it done right;

2). Keep this stock, have it bedded (and maybe have someone take it to a master / high master level rifle; or

3). And if I do number three I would put a new Krieger barrel on it and re-chamber to 308.

Any other options you can think of? I hate to bed, etc this rifle because it has beautiful furniture, was built by highly regarded 'smith, and if I go full high master on it I don't know if I would need to replace the anyway. But if bedding, etc is what is have to do to use the stock (and if that fixes the problem, that may be the only option left?

Thoughts.

Greg

Your thoughts?

timshufflin
12-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Squeezing trigger guard has nothing to do with helping lock up, it keeps it from coming open and falling out.

jak
12-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Any other options you can think of? I hate to bed, etc this rifle because it has beautiful furniture, was built by highly regarded 'smith, and if I go full high master on it I don't know if I would need to replace the anyway. But if bedding, etc is what is have to do to use the stock (and if that fixes the problem, that may be the only option left?

Thoughts.

Greg

Your thoughts?

You can cut out strips of wood veneer and glue them to the stock under the trigger guard. You may need
a couple of layers to get a tight lock up. The strips are not that noticeable once installed. You can also try to
stain the veneer to match the stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Walnut-Wood-Edge-Banding-Tape/dp/B0007SVEAU

Orlando
12-27-2017, 06:56 AM
get a trigger guard with perfectly round lugs and see how lockup is. I have unissued guards if you decide to go this route. PM me if interested

JGW
01-10-2018, 09:27 PM
I thin Orlando may be "The Man". I received a NOS trigger Guard from him today (right on schedule). Switched the existing one that was not locking in tightly, for his NOS Guard. Put it all back in my rifle, and it locks in properly, requiring a good amount of pressure to push the guard to engage the catch. I haven't shot it yet, but I fully expect it to work properly now.

Thanks again to Orlando!

JGW

timshufflin
01-11-2018, 06:41 AM
Orlando is indeed "the man".