PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this 6 Million

dogboysdad
02-11-2018, 12:59 PM
So I have two 6 Million serial numbered rifles. One is correct(ed) that I bought off another forum member. The other I bought as a barreled receiver to get the 1956 dated barrel. The receiver had two hairline cracks at the receiver heel. Well, I ended up finding another 1956 dated barrel, so I had the cracks professionally repaired (welded) and I have built the rifle up with correct metal parts and a beautiful walnut Overton replacement stock. The heel repair is essentially unnoticeable.

My question is, what do I do with this rifle? Sell it as-is? What price would you ask? I would assume most people would walk away from the rifle once they are told about the heel repair. Would you use it as a shooter? Part it out? Are 6 million rifles really that rare now?

I look forward to your thoughts.

jak
02-11-2018, 05:00 PM
That would be a hard decision for me to make too. However, if you do decide to part it out, I may be interested in the 1956 barrel.

timshufflin
02-11-2018, 06:03 PM
I would shoot the thing myself.

Punch The Clown
02-11-2018, 06:06 PM
20 years from now the cmp crowd will swear that they read somewhere about the arsenal repairs on cracked heels. They manage to justify about every other thing.

Eli
02-11-2018, 09:37 PM
Make it into a Mini-G BM59 thing and be sure to take it to EVERY gun show you attend for the rest of your life!

Eli

Orlando
02-12-2018, 07:09 AM
6 mil rare? no but they are sought after and do have a slight premium
That being said I think you will have a real hard time selling the rifle unless grossly discounted with the repaired receiver. You might be better off pulling the receiver and get what you can out of it

Prince Humperdink
02-12-2018, 02:24 PM
I'd shoot it,Eric.

canes7
02-12-2018, 04:26 PM
If you part it out I may be interested in the receiver. Send pics of damage and price if you decide to strip it.

timshufflin
02-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Thinking about this more, why not just sell for what the CMP does? The CMP has sold welded receivers and not told folks so why not you? 9 years ago the CMP sold me a Garand with a welded on rear sight ear. I also believe Stu got a welded Garand receiver, Stu?

Eli
02-12-2018, 11:17 PM
When did the CMP (knowingly) sell welded receivers?

Eli

Punch The Clown
02-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Thinking about this more, why not just sell for what the CMP does? The CMP has sold welded receivers and not told folks so why not you? 9 years ago the CMP sold me a Garand with a welded on rear sight ear. I also believe Stu got a welded Garand receiver, Stu?

Nope, wasn't me. I do remember a couple of years ago that a couple came through with import marks. The minions decided that they were probably from estates left to the cmp so I would guess a welded one could nave snuck through also.

timshufflin
02-15-2018, 08:00 PM
When did the CMP (knowingly) sell welded receivers?

Eli

It doesn't matter if it's knowingly or not. If the average guy or garand shack sells a welded receiver they are assumed to have sold it knowingly in the court of Garand opinion.

Punch, it may have been Colter. It was about 8 years ago.

dogboysdad
02-15-2018, 10:57 PM
8 years ago Coulter was only 16. Too young for buying CMP Garands.

timshufflin
02-16-2018, 07:31 AM
8 years ago Coulter was only 16. Too young for buying CMP Garands.

Now that's funny! He probably only looks 16 today.