PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Front and Rear Handguards

JGW
03-28-2018, 01:55 PM
I want to remove the front and rear hand guards on one of my M1's. I've never removed them before.

1) Is there a special tool to use in order to remove the stock ferrules / clip?

2) Is this difficult to do without damaging the metal and/or the wood?

3) Is it difficult to put it back together, again without damaging anything?

Thanks,

JGW

jak
03-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Remove the gas cylinder and the front hand guard slides right off.
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/striphtml/detailstripgassystem2.html

Get the correct size pin punch and remove the pin from the lower band.
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/nomenclaturehtml/nomenclaturelowerband.html

Slide off the lower band and then slide the rear hand guard off the barrel.
If the band is on the barrel real tight, use a wood block to tap the lower band off the barrel

Some people can remove the rear hard guard without removing the lower band, but I never tried it. I was afraid of cracking
the rear hand guard.

When reassembling, just make sure have the hole in the lower band and pin grove in the barrel are lined up before tapping the pin back in.

Prince Humperdink
03-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Some people can remove the rear hard guard without removing the lower band, but I never tried it. I was afraid of cracking
the rear hand guard.

That's why there are holes in the bottom of the clip,you are supposed to be able to put a punch in to remove hanguard...I've never tried either,because I'm too scared!

ZBeast
03-29-2018, 05:42 PM
That's why there are holes in the bottom of the clip,you are supposed to be able to put a punch in to remove hanguard...I've never tried either,because I'm too scared!

I have done the punch/pry technique and it will work if you are patient, have professional punches that will not break or bend (cheapies will :( ) and the handguard is not old, dry and brittle. BUT NOT ALWAYS! I have fubared one handguard that was new so now I remove the lower band if it is 100% necessary to take the rear handguard off.

musketjon
03-29-2018, 11:34 PM
I've done the pin punch method to remove the rear guard without removing the rear band. Just go SLOW and EASY. It's not brain surgery.
Jon

JGW
03-30-2018, 05:26 AM
Thanks for all the input. It seems it is time for me to get a gas cylinder wrench, etc. I'm not going to chance screwing up the hand guards.

JGW

Orlando
03-30-2018, 05:39 PM
1/4 inch extension with ratchet will fit perfectly into a cross slot gas screw to remove/install it
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-003F.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Garandlover/media/misc/MVC-003F.jpg.html)

JGW
03-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Isn't there a special wrench that holds the gas cylinder and barrel rigidly together so that when the gas screw is turned it does not torque the gas cylinder? Is that needed / or a valid concern of mine?

JGW

Orlando
03-31-2018, 08:07 AM
GI's never had such a wrench but you can buy one or you can wrap gas cylinder with leather or rag and hold with monkey wrench.

jtfsemperfi
04-04-2018, 02:01 PM
I saw a video on youtube of a guy removing the rear handguard clip with a combo tool that he inserted in the hole like Prince Humperdink said. He made it look easy - I didn't try. Bought the pliers and proceded to over stretch one. I couldn't seem to get the right angle or torque on it with the pliers so I try to not take them off if possible. It works but doesn't fit quite right.

Prince Humperdink
04-05-2018, 11:57 AM
I saw a video on youtube of a guy removing the rear handguard clip with a combo tool that he inserted in the hole like Prince Humperdink said. He made it look easy - I didn't try. Bought the pliers and proceded to over stretch one. I couldn't seem to get the right angle or torque on it with the pliers so I try to not take them off if possible. It works but doesn't fit quite right.

If you use the clip pliers,You have to find the right angle(as you noted) to get them off,the clips won't go on/off just going straight up.

musketjon
04-14-2018, 08:54 PM
There is a short and long "leg" on the clip. Work the short one first to get it out of its slot on the barrel. The other will follow with ease.
Jon