PDA

View Full Version : General Motors Sticks It To Us Againl

Punch The Clown
06-22-2018, 05:12 PM
The American Taxpayers lost 11.2 billion dollars in the general motors bailout so now the automotive giant is going to employ 15,000 mexicans at $3 an hour to build the new Blazer. Why aren't the libtards screaming about the exploitation of the poor mexicans? I hope trump sticks it to gm without lube.

Bob W
06-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Yeah,HUUUUUUUGE tarrifs.
They worked so well on Canada that a 2x4 that cost me $2.25 six months ago now costs me $7.30. At least Boise Cascade stock I bought at $14 went to $45. Glad we're winning the trade war, hate to see what losing looks like.
But I do agree with you Punch, the bailout is right up there with saving the banks that gave loans to unqualified buyers in my book.
I'm just so tired of other people spending all my money before I can.

Punch The Clown
06-22-2018, 06:56 PM
Bob, I am against tariffs but I am also against giving my hard earned money to some private company so they can turn around and stick it to us. gm can make the car in Ohio.

Bob W
06-22-2018, 08:14 PM
I dont know how to hurt them other than just not buy. My family has been GM loyal for generations. No longer. I'll be buying the retirement car soon and am embarrassed but have to admit I don't know what's made where anymore. But be sure I'll find out and when I do I'll spend accordingly, I don't care if it's Honda. Loyalty goes both ways, should anyway. I'm still expanding my boycott of unfriendly to gun owner merchants as I learn, and since money is all that matters to these bastards all, money is the tool I have to use. I'm not even sure my vote counts anymore, but I keep pluggin on there too. Hell, it's all we can do.

timshufflin
06-23-2018, 07:41 AM
I don't stick it to any manufacturer, unless they are openly anti Bill of Rights. No bail outs, no requests for a bail out, do those things and I don't care where they make their crappy cars. I'll consider buying anything from anyone (almost, remember Bill of Rights) and I don't care what they pay their employees or who their employees are. I do prefer to buy NON union so my money does not go to the democratic national committee.

Orlando
06-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Well "The Wall" wont work so they have to do something to try and keep them on the other side of the river...………….

Punch The Clown
06-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe we had a conversation about the re-organization of general motors who changed their name to general motors from general motors and screwed all the debt holders out of a settlement? On top of stealing billions of taxpayer dollars.

Prince Humperdink
06-23-2018, 11:50 AM
I only buy vehicles made before 2005,I can't see paying more than a lot of houses in my area for a plastic piece of junk that I can't even work on myself

Bob W
06-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe we had a conversation about the re-organization of general motors who changed their name to general motors from general motors and screwed all the debt holders out of a settlement? On top of stealing billions of taxpayer dollars.

Yeah, and Takata went bankrupt so I'll be waiting until the 12th of never for their air bag recall on my 2 trucks.
Stu you are so friggin funny, I really enjoy you. It's just too bad the flip side of comedy has always been tragedy.

Eli
06-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Yeah,HUUUUUUUGE tarrifs.
They worked so well on Canada that a 2x4 that cost me $2.25 six months ago now costs me $7.30. At least Boise Cascade stock I bought at $14 went to $45. Glad we're winning the trade war, hate to see what losing looks like.
But I do agree with you Punch, the bailout is right up there with saving the banks that gave loans to unqualified buyers in my book.
I'm just so tired of other people spending all my money before I can.

I'm having a hard time understanding how a 20% +/- tariff is resulting in a 3X price increase, sounds more like a demand outstripping supply issue!

Eli

Punch The Clown
06-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Eli, It's a case of sleight of hand. boise-cascade can pay an extra .03 for a 2x, and then raise the price %30. Now home depot can raise it another 30 and the news media will blame the entire thing on Trump.

ordmm
06-24-2018, 01:05 PM
2x4x8 $3.57 Needed a couple today and that was the price. And plus sales tax of course 5.1%. Even managed to pick a couple from the bunk that did not look like bananas.

Bob W
06-24-2018, 01:42 PM
2x4x8 $3.57 Needed a couple today and that was the price. And plus sales tax of course 5.1%. Even managed to pick a couple from the bunk that did not look like bananas.

Using 2x4x12 on this one, 10' plate height + block = 11.33 ft = $7.30. Was $2.25 6 mos ago. I think your $3.57 2x4 was about $1.50 then.

Here's the link- HD isnt much higher thanLumberyard. I use the private yards for the main orders, then send guys for pick-up orders to fill in.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-4-in-x-12-ft-2-and-Better-Prime-Douglas-Fir-Board-HCF-KDDF-PRIME-2x4x12/206804061

And that's just #2-btr- the "prime" in the ad is "prime bs"- like Ord says, good for rocking chair use.
Then to add insult to injury sales tax here this week is I believe 9.75%

'scuse me- just checked- 9.5%

Bob W
06-24-2018, 02:21 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding how a 20% +/- tariff is resulting in a 3X price increase, sounds more like a demand outstripping supply issue!

Eli

Eli, you're in construction too so you know the hard and fast supply/demand issues that used to rule economics in a mildly predictable manner have eroded to almost complete fabrication. Like OPEC shortages. Hell, every time you guys get over 1/4" of rain down there they call it a tropical storm threatening to become a hurricane and plywood doubles out here.
Example; If Canada slows production by only 10% then in anticipation like Punch said the next stop jacks 20% and so on and it compounds like interest. Criminal, yes, but evidently not actionable. I think they should be tried for Racketeering, not Anti-Trust.

ordmm
06-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Ah. 12 foot, there you go. Yeah about the same price here. You need to be VERY specific--am a 2x4 illiterate. Probably from too many 2x4 blows to the head.