PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

garandtom
07-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Hello Guys!! Im new here and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Tom and currently own two garands, one is a CMP 52' and the other is an original 53' used in the korean war, I got it from the marine who used it!! anyways I know im going to heckled for this but im putting a synthetic stock on the 52 and I cant disassemble the front handguard, Ive got it off the rifle but there is a metal piece attached to it. How do I get it off?

timshufflin
07-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Welcome sir and I can remember the day I had the same question you do, really I can. Here's a way to do this without "the tool". Tie some line through one hole in the clip on the rear guard. Tie some strong line through the other hole on the other side. Make sure the line has some strength to it. Now, tie the line from one side to a bed post in your bedroom and the other line to a door knob. Open or close the door, depending on swing, to spread the clip open slightly and remove it.

Punch The Clown
07-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Tim, Tom said "Front Handguard". Anyway, Welcome Tom. If you need new stock metal just ask as I have extra. You'll end up wrecking your originals trying to take the metal off. Stu

cannonshooter
07-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great knowledge on here for the asking.
Mack

paid4c4
07-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse you'll find a great group of guys. While I think you want help with the front hand guard Tim's description of taking off the rear clip is priceless, at least we know Tim has a bed and what he does with it!!
If you have the hand guard off the rifle you just need to pry the two tabs on the metal end of the hand guard toward the center and then remove the metal. Generally you can move the two tabs toward the center with a small straight bladed screw driver. Once the tabs are out of the way the metal piece should come off with a little pulling using your fingers. If the hand guard is still on the rifle you'll find a small pin which has to be knocked out. The pin is on the piece which joins the front and rear guard on the bottom of the barrel. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.
Bill

Prince Humperdink
07-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

timshufflin
07-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Well yah Kid? I distinctly remember you used to call the rear handguard the front handguard or upper handguard. I screwed up, bless me father for I have sinned.

Orlando
07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
bless me father for I have sinned.

You are forgiven :)

Welcome to the forum garandtom

paid4c4
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Tmmy, you meant well that's all that counts.
Bill

cuppednlocked
07-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Welcome Tom.

How about a family portrait of your rifles??? We like pictures...

toolman
07-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the nut house! peace toolman

MH53GUNNER
07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Welcome Tom.

The first step in admitting your addiction is saying you are a Garand owner.

howie
07-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome Tom. Glad to have you. As for Timmah, I'm gonna have to take him down off that pedestal I've had him on for so long.

Cal30M1
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the asylum where the inmates run the joint!

sandsnow
07-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi Tom

Welcome

Larry

Punch The Clown
07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Well yah Kid? I distinctly remember you used to call the rear handguard the front handguard or upper handguard. I screwed up, bless me father for I have sinned.

Nooooo, I used to call the front handguard the upper handguard and the rear handguard the lower handguard which I do believe is still correct nomenclature Mr.Wisenheimer.

garandtom
07-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome fellas!! I can't wait to start learning!