PDA

View Full Version : Golden state Arms Santa Fe Division M1 Rifle

garandguy10
09-22-2019, 05:31 PM
Hi all, I have a Golden State Arms Santa Fe Division M1 Rifle. What do you guys know about these?
Before someone says it is a welded up receiver, it is not.

timshufflin
09-23-2019, 08:35 AM
All I know is that I see quite a few. Some run and some do not.

Punch The Clown
09-23-2019, 08:40 AM
Nice heel stamp

https://i.imgur.com/Sj7YdAC.jpg

Eli
09-23-2019, 10:21 AM
The best part:
Maybe Mike Baker can assist on value and such? I hope he's still high and dry!

Eli

garandguy10
09-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Tim, you have seen Beretta M1 receivers with these markings?

garandguy10
09-27-2019, 07:53 AM

Just so I understand you correctly, you have seen many Golden State Arms M1 rifles with receiver markings identical to mine?
That interesting, as this is the only one I have seen, and I have been into M1 Garands for a few decades.

Can you, or anyone else post pictures of other Golden State Arms M1 rifles with receiver markings like mine?

Punch The Clown
09-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Hi all, I have a Golden state Arms Santa Fe Division M1 Rifle. What do you guys know about these?

Just so I understand you correctly, you have seen many Golden State Arms M1 rifles with receiver markings identical to mine?
That interesting, as this is the only one I have seen, and I have been into M1 Garands for a few decades.

Can you, or anyone else post pictures of other Golden State Arms M1 rifles with receiver markings like mine?

Where did he say that he saw others with the identical markings as yours? He stated that he has seen many Golden States and some run and some don't, maybe because many of them-not yours-were built on welded receivers. I know you instructed us not to say the word "welded" but I said it anyway. As you have drawn the line in the sand daring us to find another M1 with the same markings as yours have fun because I'm not playing. Beautiful rifle, I have seen others, scarce but they are out there.

timshufflin
09-27-2019, 01:34 PM

I cannot post any pictures like that. I’ve only been into this for perhaps 15 years and they seem to be fairly common. I just haven’t given them any more time than I would a CAI. Maybe I’ve just been lucky seeing them.

Eli
09-27-2019, 04:41 PM
I think there's some confusion between 'Golden State' rewelds and the factory Berettas imported by 'Santa Fe' as pictured here.

Eli

timshufflin
09-27-2019, 04:52 PM
I think there's some confusion between 'Golden State' rewelds and the factory Berettas imported by 'Santa Fe' as pictured here.

Eli

Is there? I’ve only seen perhaps 2 or 3 golden state welded receivers.

blfuller
09-27-2019, 10:01 PM
Hi all, I have a Golden state Arms Santa Fe Division M1 Rifle. What do you guys know about these?

Does yours have the markings as shown and is it in cal .30 M1 or 7.62NATO?

garandguy10
09-28-2019, 12:58 AM
Does yours have the markings as shown and is it in cal .30 M1 or 7.62NATO?

The photos you see in this thread are my rifle. It is chambered in Caliber .30 M1 as stamped on the receiver heel.

garandguy10
09-28-2019, 01:21 AM
I cannot post any pictures like that. I’ve only been into this for perhaps 15 years and they seem to be fairly common. I just haven’t given them any more time than I would a CAI. Maybe I’ve just been lucky seeing them.

I think we are talking about different rifles. My rifle is nothing like a CAI or Lithgow cast receiver M1 rifle, nor does it have a welded (re-welded) receiver.

My rifle is a Golden State Arms Corporation Santa Fe Division Cal .30 M1 Garand clone, chambered in Caliber .30 M1 with a forged, not welded (re-welded) receiver manufactured by Beretta for Santa Fe Division as stamped on the left side of the receiver. My rifle feeds from M1 8 round clips. I have never seen another like it. I have no idea how many were made, but I suspect it was not many.

I suspect you may also be thinking about the Golden State Arms/Santa Fe (and others) BM59 style rifles that accept a BM59 or M14 magazine that are chambered in .308 (7.62x51) Most of those rifles are made from welded (re-welded) USGI receivers with the heel markings ground off and the manufacturer/model and caliber information stamped on the left side of the receiver.

I have seen quite a few of the welded receiver BM59 clones, and many years ago I held in my hands a Golden State Arms Santa Fe Division BM59 with a forged non welded Beretta made receiver with receiver heel markings similar to my receiver, that receiver had left side receiver markings identical to my rifle.

When did Beretta stop making M1 receivers?

blfuller
09-28-2019, 12:49 PM
The photos you see in this thread are my rifle. It is chambered in Caliber .30 M1 as stamped on the receiver heel.

Since the pics were posted by others I didn't think it was yours. Are all the parts marked like the USGI parts with PB (Pietro Beretta) instead of the SA, WRA, HRA, IHC?

Very nice rifle though, definitely a keeper.

There's a little snippit over on the M14 forum (https://m14forum.com/steel-wood/5116-sante-fe-bm59.html) that mentions the Santa Fe M1 but is mostly about the BM59.

timshufflin
09-28-2019, 01:27 PM
I think we are talking about different rifles. My rifle is nothing like a CAI or Lithgow cast receiver M1 rifle, nor does it have a welded (re-welded) receiver.

My rifle is a Golden State Arms Corporation Santa Fe Division Cal .30 M1 Garand clone, chambered in Caliber .30 M1 with a forged, not welded (re-welded) receiver manufactured by Beretta for Santa Fe Division as stamped on the left side of the receiver. My rifle feeds from M1 8 round clips. I have never seen another like it. I have no idea how many were made, but I suspect it was not many.

I suspect you may also be thinking about the Golden State Arms/Santa Fe (and others) BM59 style rifles that accept a BM59 or M14 magazine that are chambered in .308 (7.62x51) Most of those rifles are made from welded (re-welded) USGI receivers with the heel markings ground off and the manufacturer/model and caliber information stamped on the left side of the receiver.

I have seen quite a few of the welded receiver BM59 clones, and many years ago I held in my hands a Golden State Arms Santa Fe Division BM59 with a forged non welded Beretta made receiver with receiver heel markings similar to my receiver, that receiver had left side receiver markings identical to my rifle.

When did Beretta stop making M1 receivers?

Nope, not thinking of something different. I just don’t think it’s as rare as you may believe. On really rare stuff I do note it in my mind and take pics. These have just never made my radar. You did want thoughts, you have mine. Nice receiver!

garandguy10
09-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Since the pics were posted by others I didn't think it was yours. Are all the parts marked like the USGI parts with PB (Pietro Beretta) instead of the SA, WRA, HRA, IHC?

Very nice rifle though, definitely a keeper.

There's a little snippit over on the M14 forum (https://m14forum.com/steel-wood/5116-sante-fe-bm59.html) that mentions the Santa Fe M1 but is mostly about the BM59.

All parts except receiver are USGI.

ordmm
09-29-2019, 09:40 AM
Nice heel stamp

https://i.imgur.com/Sj7YdAC.jpg

What's the effect around the markings? Maybe a pixelated effect to the image affecting the area around the markings?

Punch The Clown
09-29-2019, 09:50 AM
What's the effect around the markings? Maybe a pixelated effect to the image affecting the area around the markings?

I over-enlarged it. The original is very sharp.

garandguy10
09-29-2019, 12:20 PM
I used an old digital camera for the pics.

nchillbilly
11-05-2019, 03:19 AM
Thanks for sharing. Any other pictures you'd take of the mag well and barrel would be greatly appreciated, also your muzzle device.

Some idle thoughts about Mr. Arnold his ventures in firearms manufacture:

Golden State which was already or became National Ordnance and then merged with Brenner's Federal Ordnance(coincidentally in the same building in South El Monte).

Some of Arnold's were based on the 59E/SL but had hand-guards missing from the very front. He did a straight BM-59 Ital type. He also did one that had a long M14 style flash hider, except it had been, what is the word I am looking for..... turned with a taper attachment. Oddly, he did that same type flash hider, except cut it out and i was three prong like M16A1.

I'd say 70% performed from the factor with reasonable satisfaction, however given wear, tear, and the DPO(dreaded previous owners)- I think maybe 33-40% are out there and functional. So 33%-40% of the original 70% functional- 28% still intact and usable.

Arnold was also bad to use a 1903 barrel welded to a Garand barrel. Remarkable some of those will shoot acceptably- I mean they go bang with no drama, kill a target at 100yds. After that, fling rounds willy nilly.

Thanks for sharing.

gman366
03-22-2020, 08:27 PM
Hi all, I have a Golden State Arms Santa Fe Division M1 Rifle. What do you guys know about these?

I saw 1 Golden State receiver in the early 1990's, which had a beautiful sunburst logo. Apparently these receivers were made by Beretta for the civilian market when Garands were not available to the general public, except 1 per lifetime from the DCM. Beretta made Garands for about 66 different countries after WWII. Do not confuse these with welded receivers, which were made up by National Ordnance & later Fed Ord from demilled receivers & surplus parts.

nchillbilly
03-22-2020, 11:31 PM
I saw 1 Golden State receiver in the early 1990's, which had a beautiful sunburst logo. Apparently these receivers were made by Beretta for the civilian market when Garands were not available to the general public, except 1 per lifetime from the DCM. Beretta made Garands for about 66 different countries after WWII. Do not confuse these with welded receivers, which were made up by National Ordnance & later Fed Ord from demilled receivers & surplus parts.

Gman366 is correct.

That is right at the time that Beretta was divesting and making runs of BM59, BM62, BM69 parts. They offered a BM62/69 style front gas block that hangs down fo Golden State. One set of tooling went to SAI/Reese. He spent way more on that project than he ever planned to. The broaches he was shown vs what he received were... um... different.

PS: Beretta made new Bolts in seal until 99. New mags in paper wrap until 1997- for the 59/62/69.

The Garand parts that Brenner of GSA was able to get at least partially came from Italy. He had somewhere between 50-300 of the Sunburst logos run until the mid 90's by Beretta. He also had some of the Beretta's not fully machined and they were marked under his Fed Ord-Nat Ord brands. The way to tell is the heel.

Beretta Cardone VT and Brenner had continual spats over Brenner's creative accounting and kiting of checks. But that was how he ended up with a lot of Garand parts kits when other people had none.

Brenner and Mr. Arnold before him had Breda make a receiver for their Alpine/Ital/Tipo offerings.

When Brenner died, there was a whole mess of 7.62x51 CETME small ring Spanish Mauser's show up on market in Miami for $95-$150. They are only intended for 7.62 CETME, though.

Brenner had friends in high places.

garandguy10
11-22-2020, 11:37 PM
Thank you all for the information.

FlightRN
12-29-2020, 02:13 AM
Good Day All,
Here are a few examples of Italian Beretta and Breda manufactured M1 rifles in the collection. The Santa Fe Division of Golden State Arms, California purchased the receivers in the 1950's and assembled rifles. The one I own is in caliber 30-06. Another was imported/built by Springfield Incorporated and later sold by Reese manufacturing the late 1990's. It's in 7.62x51. Danish examples have been discussed before.
Regards,
Mike

RDS
12-30-2020, 06:10 PM
American Rifleman magazine Feb. 1994 issue page 22 has an article titled M1 NM sights. Photos of the M1 Garand in the article is a Beretta
Santa Fe Golden State Arms M1. The American Rifleman magazine June 1999 issue page 23 has an article titled Beretta/Golden State M1s. Auction Arms on March 20, 2004 listed a Beretta Santa Fe Golden State Arms M1 Garand in 30-06. Receiver was marked same as poster. Serial number was P 0014. The lister stated M1 was part of a small batch imported in the late 1950s by Golden State Arms. Rifle was all US GI parts except the Beretta made receiver.

garandguy10
02-16-2021, 12:00 AM
Thank you all for the information.

garandguy10
03-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Good Day All,
Here are a few examples of Italian Beretta and Breda manufactured M1 rifles in the collection. The Santa Fe Division of Golden State Arms, California purchased the receivers in the 1950's and assembled rifles. The one I own is in caliber 30-06. Another was imported/built by Springfield Incorporated and later sold by Reese manufacturing the late 1990's. It's in 7.62x51. Danish examples have been discussed before.
Regards,
Mike

Thank you for the information and photographs. Your Golden State Arms M1 type rifle is the second one I have seen. It looks like they imported at least 57 of these receivers.

garandguy10
03-18-2021, 10:14 PM
American Rifleman magazine Feb. 1994 issue page 22 has an article titled M1 NM sights. Photos of the M1 Garand in the article is a Beretta
Santa Fe Golden State Arms M1. The American Rifleman magazine June 1999 issue page 23 has an article titled Beretta/Golden State M1s. Auction Arms on March 20, 2004 listed a Beretta Santa Fe Golden State Arms M1 Garand in 30-06. Receiver was marked same as poster. Serial number was P 0014. The lister stated M1 was part of a small batch imported in the late 1950s by Golden State Arms. Rifle was all US GI parts except the Beretta made receiver.

"American Rifleman magazine Feb. 1994 issue page 22 has an article titled M1 NM sights. Photos of the M1 Garand in the article is a Beretta"
I do not have that issue. If you do, and the rifle is a Golden State Arms Beretta M1, do the photographs show the rifles serial number? If so what is the serial number?

RDS
03-19-2021, 07:27 AM
Photos in article clearly show it is a Santa Fe Golden State Arms M1 Garand. There are three photos of the receiver. Unfortunately the serial number is not visible in any of the three photos. The article appeared in the Question and Answer section and only the authors initials appear. They are O.R.C.

garandguy10
03-26-2021, 02:21 AM
Photos in article clearly show it is a Santa Fe Golden State Arms M1 Garand. There are three photos of the receiver. Unfortunately the serial number is not visible in any of the three photos. The article appeared in the Question and Answer section and only the authors initials appear. They are O.R.C.

Thank you for the information. Based on my rifle and what you have said, at least two were built into match rifles.
My rifle appears to have been built according to early 1950's NM specifications at least as far as the barrel, sights and hand guard modifications.
When the receiver was imported, or when it was assembled into a working rifle or by who I do not know.

gman366
09-09-2021, 11:27 PM

Many years ago ( in the early 1990's) a guy offered me a Golden State M1 with a large sunburst on the logo on the heel. He wanted $500.00 for it ( At a time when imports were selling for $235.) Unfortunately, I didn't have the money, so I had to pass. I wish I could run in to the guy today.