PDA

View Full Version : Question for mixmaster

Orlando
07-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I could have sent a PM but though maybe we could all learn something from this .
Mixmaster,
Did Marlin ever make a 6 groove Garand barrel ? If so what can you tell me about them.
Thank you

mixmaster
07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't know if they ever did. It is my understanding that the first batch Marlin made were rejected. I have a Marlin barrel and it has the same rifling as the SA. The first batch ended destroyed or on the civilian market and those could be the ones. I have never seen the Marlin barrels with anything but the specs the military was looking for. As always I could be wrong.
Mix

Dave
07-13-2011, 10:15 PM
As I'm sure your aware, theres one for sale on Jouster so they must have made them. Whether or not they were actual USGI accepted or a mistake I don't know. There was some talk about them being made for NM rifles but AFAIK thats an unproven internet rumor.

Orlando
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Dave
Thats why I asked. I have never heard of them before and was wondering what he really had.

Dave
07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Dave
Thats why I asked. I have never heard of them before and was wondering what he really had.

I would'nt mind having one but then you have the issue of "do I shoot it" ? I would for sure, but if they are that rare I probably would'nt be "beating" on it like I do my regular shooters. The problem though is that for the price I'd probably opt for a Krieger or some other premium commercial barrel instead. I've used Marlins on several builds and they are decent, no diferent than any other USGI barrel, but those were not 6 groove. I still have one on my "grenade" rifle, which BTW is a WRA :)

mixmaster
07-14-2011, 11:41 PM
No Marlin barrels passed my hands on the way to becoming NM. I do have a Marlin barrel and other than the markings it is nothing special other than it is a barrel made by a company that made no Garands. All NM barrels we handled were SAs. SA sent the best speced barrels they had and we air gauged the barrels and re checked the specs. Early ones were not marked with a star as the were not air gauged. Later ones were and you will find NM with a star stamped on it. Again no Marlins.Orlando send me the site with the rifle so I can take a look at it and read the description. As for the Marlin Barrels the first batch were rejected and I have no idea where they ended up maybe SARCO or Numrich got them!
Mix

Orlando
07-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Towards the end of the post
http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?20862-WTS-M1-Garand-LMR-SA-PB-amp-Marlin-Barrels

mixmaster
07-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Goodness I have a real treasure! well almost . I have the M stamped Marlin barrel and the only reason I kept it was because it is rare because they had failed to pass the QC boys tests. As for NM never saw them on any NM rifles but heck you can Stamp NM on anything I guess. I pass on the NM Marlin. Bear in mind I did not work on every NM rifle in the inventory so I do not pass judgement on the seller ,Just pass on his barrel.
Mix

Orlando
07-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I wasnt considering buying the barrel ,just never heard of them before
Thanks