PDA

View Full Version : Garand Receivers (where did they all go????)

Stephen S Palano
07-08-2021, 10:00 PM
Been looking for 2 m1 receivers fo a while now to finish up a couple projects i have. Any ideas guys

Punch The Clown
07-09-2021, 08:27 AM
I haven't seen any for sale since before the scamdemic. Maybe now that the gun shows are starting up again some more will be available.

Eli
07-09-2021, 08:38 AM
Everything has gone crazy. I've actually gotten in to Galils - which historically have been expensive - because they still only cost about a grand to build. Wait until the coming hyperinflation takes hold!

Eli

seaninmich
07-11-2021, 05:21 PM
CMP stopped selling them a few years ago and has made it clear that they will never be selling stripped receivers again, only complete rifles. The influx of cheap BM59 kits in the last 6 or 7 years sucked up all the loose garand receivers that were sitting around.

Current market price for a decent stripped receiver is only about $100-150 less than a CMP rack grade. buying a receiver makes no sense anyway

timshufflin
07-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Only place I know to get them is gunbroker.

Bob W
07-14-2021, 09:21 PM
Everything has gone crazy. I've actually gotten in to Galils - which historically have been expensive - because they still only cost about a grand to build. Wait until the coming hyperinflation takes hold!

Eli

Hey Eli- You do a Galatz yet? How accurate?

Eli
07-15-2021, 08:59 AM
Nah, was looking to get in to the Galils mainly because it's a Jewish AK. Reality has set in a bit, though, and although $350 for a parts kit and $350 for an 80% receiver isn't too bad the fact that the cheapest barrels are $300 and the wait list is months is maddening. Then there's the cost of 5.56, which is right up there with 7.62 NATO.
So, I decided to build in 7.62X39. The Galil, after all, is just an AK - right?
The problem there is barrels are even more expensive - custom only, and over $400 - so you end up with over $1100 invested in an AK that weighs a ton. Ammo is only 30 cents per round, though!
I'm to the point now that AKMs - with a $100 receiver, $600 parts kit, and $200 cold-hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel, and 2 pounds lighter - are starting to look extremely attractive again.
ARs are out because I don't like them, and my son is left-handed.
I should have a build finished soon, I'll post pictures when it's done.

Eli

Stephen S Palano
07-15-2021, 12:14 PM
Been damn near impossible to find anything that approaches reasonable....ugh

seaninmich
07-19-2021, 03:42 PM
Been damn near impossible to find anything that approaches reasonable....ugh

anything under $400 is considered a good deal for a stripped receiver. Anything under $300 is probably a welded or rusted piece of scrap

Joker_from_TN
09-12-2022, 11:45 AM
anything under $400 is considered a good deal for a stripped receiver. Anything under $300 is probably a welded or rusted piece of scrap

And over a year later, the situation has not gotten any better. I saw where Fulton Armory is supposed to be releasing their M-14 receiver. I wonder if A) they are any good, and B) if they are/would consider doing an M1 Garand receiver? At this point, there does seem to be a growing demand for a well-made one, if the others have dried up to this point.

dogboysdad
10-31-2022, 07:41 AM
Hasn’t Fulton been making receivers for some time?

Joker_from_TN
10-31-2022, 04:58 PM

I thought Tim wouldn't do conversion work on anything non-GI? Or am I wrong about that? Maybe I misunderstood.

Eli
11-01-2022, 07:22 AM

I believe only M14, not M1 Rifle - although they do offer an excellent M1 Carbine receiver that doubled from a reasonable $300 to an outrageous $600 recently.

Eli

Prince Humperdink
11-03-2022, 01:00 AM
I believe only M14, not M1 Rifle - although they do offer an excellent M1 Carbine receiver that doubled from a reasonable $300 to an outrageous $600 recently.

Eli

Who would even spend that on a repro? nevermind,there is always someone who would!

Eli
11-03-2022, 09:18 AM
Who would even spend that on a repro? nevermind,there is always someone who would!

Those particular reproductions were (in the past) LMT, and possibly better than USGI. There's a lot more parts kits than receivers out there!

Eli

Prince Humperdink
11-03-2022, 03:36 PM
Those particular reproductions were (in the past) LMT, and possibly better than USGI. There's a lot more parts kits than receivers out there!

Eli

If I was looking,I would spend $300 on a quality repro,but not $600.00...I am a chap a$$ ;)

Eli
11-04-2022, 08:14 AM
If I was looking,I would spend $300 on a quality repro,but not $600.00...I am a chap a$$ ;)

I didn't buy a $300 one out of laziness and procrastination, now my 'parts kit' will sit a while longer.

Eli

Joker_from_TN
11-04-2022, 10:35 PM
There is a vendor over on Weapons Guild who is bringing an unfinished M1 Garand receiver to market soon. Considering the lack of available USGI stripped receivers at anything resembling reasonable prices any more, I wonder if this would be an option? Since Tim is modifying the USGI ones anyway, could/would he be willing or interested in giving one of these a try to see if it might provide a viable alternative to the USGI ones that would allow more of the BM-59 kits to be built out? I know the version that JRA used had a batch with some apparently serious issues, but I think these are supposed to be from a different supplier and are *supposed* to be in spec and of the correct metallurgy, albeit not completed. Tim, if you read this and are not already in touch with the guy, if you would like I would be happy to post or PM you his information once we can get the forum back opened up and running again. My ITAL kit and .308 Garand barrel are waiting on finding something for a receiver, and then coming up with the money to send you with the kit to get you to build it.

seaninmich
11-08-2022, 07:27 PM
There is a vendor over on Weapons Guild who is bringing an unfinished M1 Garand receiver to market soon. Considering the lack of available USGI stripped receivers at anything resembling reasonable prices any more, I wonder if this would be an option? Since Tim is modifying the USGI ones anyway, could/would he be willing or interested in giving one of these a try to see if it might provide a viable alternative to the USGI ones that would allow more of the BM-59 kits to be built out? I know the version that JRA used had a batch with some apparently serious issues, but I think these are supposed to be from a different supplier and are *supposed* to be in spec and of the correct metallurgy, albeit not completed. Tim, if you read this and are not already in touch with the guy, if you would like I would be happy to post or PM you his information once we can get the forum back opened up and running again. My ITAL kit and .308 Garand barrel are waiting on finding something for a receiver, and then coming up with the money to send you with the kit to get you to build it.

I have a USGI SA receiver for sale. $550 shipped. email me if you want it. [email protected]

seaninmich
11-08-2022, 07:27 PM
I thought Tim wouldn't do conversion work on anything non-GI? Or am I wrong about that? Maybe I misunderstood.

you are correct. USGI receivers only

Punch The Clown
11-08-2022, 07:34 PM
A welded receiver would be fine for a BM59 build. in my opinion

Joker_from_TN
12-11-2022, 01:15 AM
I have a USGI SA receiver for sale. $550 shipped. email me if you want it. [email protected]

Thank you again for that, Sean. It is currently at the engraver's shop I use getting the BM-59 markings added and once I get it back and get the rest of the cash together I will be sending it up to Tim for him to do his artistry on it.