PDA

View Full Version : steel-cased ammo

howie
04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I'd like to hear your experiences with steel cased ammo, especially with black rifles. I've never used the stuff, figured it would be hard on ejectors,extractors, ect. Are my assumptions wrong?

Orlando
04-25-2011, 07:40 AM
I have used it but it is dirty and not very accurate. A buddy of mine has fired thousands of rds of it and never broke a extractor
You can still get good brass cased ammo for around $300.00 per 1000rd

cwcdl79
04-27-2011, 08:36 AM
I've shot a bit of it, not terribly accurate, dirty, but it goes bang. what can I say, I'm cheap...

jjones
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
just clean your chamber if you use the stuff with the laquer coating on it. I use it all the time, and never had a problem that cleaning my rifle wouldn't fix. it isn't that accurate, but will work for killing pigs at 200 yards.

cannonshooter
04-27-2011, 07:13 PM
The new stuff with the polymer coating runs fine through my mini-14 as far as accuracy its minute of human stuff. Ive run over 2k of the polymer wolf and wear is normal on the extractor. It is dirty but it does what i need it to.
Mack

howie
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I've thought about getting some just to use as oh shit ammo, because it's cheap, but I've always been a little leery, worrying about the lacquer melting in a hot chamber and making a bad situation even worse.

Orlando
04-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Wolf stopped using lacquer coating years ago, its coated with something else now.

mixmaster
04-28-2011, 02:36 AM
I use it mainly because it is cheap. No function problems and accurate enough for or good as I shoot now (without a scope) I don't find it much dirtier than the GI surplus but then I've been saving the GI because it is re loadable.

llurpirate
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I use it for the go bang times. For self defense I use proven major brand stuff. I like the steel case for the cost and I don't worry about saving the brass. I doesn't hurt if I loose a couple. So far it has worked well in all that I have used it. AR, SKS, Many 9mm, and hell I am even looking for some 45acp if I can find it.

Tuna
04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Right now AIM has brass cased PMC 55 gr FMJ for $279.50 a thousand.

howie
04-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Right now AIM has brass cased PMC 55 gr FMJ for $279.50 a thousand.

Yeah, I saw that, but ordered a Mosin and some 7.62x54R instead. Stupid me.

Crazy Horse
05-01-2011, 06:37 AM
I shoot it all the time, Wolf, Tula, Brown bear, silver bear. I shoot most of it out of my Arsenal Sgl31 and my Colt ar's. I personally think the quality level of the ammo has improved in the last few years. Wolf used to be garbage in AR's but now its good to go.
Considering the $ amount of brass cased ammo these days i will shoot the steel cased stuff. If it does break an extractor, its an easy fix.
Cheers

dogboysdad
05-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I shoot it all the time, Wolf, Tula, Brown bear, silver bear. I shoot most of it out of my Arsenal Sgl31 and my Colt ar's. I personally think the quality level of the ammo has improved in the last few years. Wolf used to be garbage in AR's but now its good to go.
Considering the $ amount of brass cased ammo these days i will shoot the steel cased stuff. If it does break an extractor, its an easy fix.
Cheers

I feel the same way. I have SHTF ammo. Steel cased ammo is just fine for everything else. Extractors are cheap and easy.

Frederick
07-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I ran fifty rounds of Wolf through my RRA 223 a while ago with no problems. It was as accurate as me and no dirtier than anything else I've used.

MajorD
07-16-2011, 05:41 PM
due to so many makers putting out AR's with variable specs, some guns will run it fine while others will choke on it. Some makers (bushmaster for one I think) will indicate not to use it in their guns. I have a fair supply of factory and relaod as well, so don't bother with it. right now got an e-mail from widener's they are selling 1200 rounds of imi ammo for what amounts to just shy of 30 cents a round. hard to beat that in today's market. I remeber not too long ago buying federal ammo for 120/500 rounds. we'll never see those days again