PDA

View Full Version : Something that you may want to know on a short cycling rifle

timshufflin
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Have any of you ever had a rifle that short cycled with marginal ammo and ran great with some HXP? A little diddy that Stu discovered was to simply back out the gas lock screw one turn thus creating a larger front chamber in the gas cyclinder. I noticed this thread on the CMP today http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=43109&page=3

Stu told me about this little trick about three months ago while he was at the range. I've tried it on many shortcycling rifles that customers have sent me and it has worked to make them cycle in all but one case. That rifle had an oprod spring which was 2" to long????

This makes me believe that Erics gas lock screw with the larger front end will do what he says it will do. It would probably also make a rifle that otherwise shortcycles, now cycle.

howie
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Wouldn't the looser screw have a tendency to back itself all the way out?

canes7
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I am not familiar with Eric's gas lock screw, but I had read an article about how gas cylinder volume effects accuracy. It seems that one fairly popular Garand builder (name escapes me) had a rifle that just wouldn't shoot as well as he thought it should. After many failures at trying to fix the problem he thought that perhaps if he could delay the op-rod motion.

He took a solid screw, took some metal off the inside face and viola, the accuracy of the rifle increased. I haven't tried it yet. I doubt I have a way of accurately measuring any improvement.

I just checked the thread. In essence this is what the Garand builder in my story above did, just not to such an extent.

timshufflin
04-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Yah, what I'm saying is that you can just increase the volume by simply backing out the gas lock a turn, so long as the port still shows. Howie, I've just not ever had an issue with gas lock screws backing out.

Want to make sure a gas lock screw does not back out? Hit the threads with some paint and let dry, now screw it in.

Orlando
04-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Howie
I think he means back off the lock along with the screw.
Right Tim?
My question is why is the rifle short stroking to begin with, is this just a bandaid for undersized or worn gas cylinder that is acausing short cycling?

howie
04-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks Orlando. That would make sense.

Punch The Clown
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I did this on a rifle with a marginal gas cylinder. Just loosened the lock 1 turn and re-tightened the screw. I think the big help was that the piston now was in a better part of the gas cylinder but who knows?. Anyway, the gun runs fine this way and short-strokes with the lock turned 1 turn in.

timshufflin
04-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Howie
I think he means back off the lock along with the screw.
Right Tim?
My question is why is the rifle short stroking to begin with, is this just a bandaid for undersized or worn gas cylinder that is acausing short cycling?

Bandaid? I don't know. The rifles I've seen had pistons and gas cylinders in spec along with brand new oprod springs, no rubbing, perfect tilt. Were the specs on the piston and the cylinder on the low side? Yes but they were in spec. This issue seems to rear its ugly head with certain ammos.

Yes, I'm talking about the gas lock. Please forgive my poor use of nomenclature.

Orlando
04-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I'll have to remember that trick
Thanks

Punch The Clown
04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Now, will an M14 gas screw fit an M1? I don't have an M14 so I can't try.

Orlando
04-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Now, will an M14 gas screw fit an M1? I don't have an M14 so I can't try.

They are two completely different

Punch The Clown
04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Oh well. Thanks. Stu

Dave
04-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I've played with this on a few rifles over the years. It can make a change in accuracy, but not always. Guess it depends on the rifle. I have to wonder though, on a short stroker and then it works after moving the cylinder forward, did anyone check for gas hole alignment first? Also have read, but never attempted to verify, that a worn muzzle can cause short stroking if the gas system parts are marginal to start with. I would think the bore would have to be shotgun smooth before losing enough gas to effect operation, but ya never know.....
I'm partial to the adjustable gas screw myself. Got them on my two shooters and once dialed in for the ammo being used the gun just "feels" better. The ones I have I got from Roland Beaver but since I got those there are now other folks selling them too. Right now they are set for HXP ammo as thats what I mostly shoot for basic range practice. I have used some 180gr soft points and can get the same "soft" feel with the adjustable screws. No need to beat up the guns anymore.

Cal30M1
04-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey Timmah? Will this work on a short stroking Mini-G? LMAO

timshufflin
04-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Hey Timmah? Will this work on a short stroking Mini-G? LMAO

Yep. If you are having a problem with a G though, why not let me fix it? Seriously though, nothing different on a G from a Garand.

Dave Waits
05-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Gus taught me that as long as the entire port is inside the Gas-Cylinder window operation is uneffected. I've done that to get the correct standoff with the rear of the Cylinder vs. the front handguard ferrule and, by and large, this is true. Now that I think about it, these rifles ran good with whatever I stuck in them to shoot, even some old, slowboat LC I had. Accuracy off a bench was always pertty close at that point, 2-3" at 100. Maybe there's something to that Tim.

timshufflin
05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Gus taught me that as long as the entire port is inside the Gas-Cylinder window operation is uneffected. I've done that to get the correct standoff with the rear of the Cylinder vs. the front handguard ferrule and, by and large, this is true. Now that I think about it, these rifles ran good with whatever I stuck in them to shoot, even some old, slowboat LC I had. Accuracy off a bench was always pertty close at that point, 2-3" at 100. Maybe there's something to that Tim.

Oh there's something to it sir. I've had to many rifles short stroke on piddly LC only to purr like kittens when backing that lock off a turn.