PDA

View Full Version : Autoloaders Are Unsafe

Punch The Clown
08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I see another thread on the CMP forum about a gun blowing up. I have had case failures on bolt guns and the only thing that happens is some plasma jet shooting out of the little hole in the side of the receiver. These M1's blow up like hand grenades.

cannonshooter
08-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Ok since they are unsafe and Im a risk taker Ill take all your autoloaders off your hands. Since Im taking my life in my hands thereby saving yours Ill buy them all off for $10 a piece. lol
Mack

Punch The Clown
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I think that a law should be passed requiring some sort of airbag type setup make of kevlar that is automatically deployed if the gun is going to blow affording the shooter 100% protection.

paid4c4
08-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Stu, by autoloader do you mean a like reloading brass and making a live round? I'm from KY so bare with me.
Bill

Punch The Clown
08-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I mean self loading-semi automatic. You guys know I'm teasing about legislation. Just making an observation however that automatics seem to blow up more frequently than bolt guns.

cannonshooter
08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Stu,
You keep forgetting about those Low Number 03's out there. Personally I think autoloaders are not any more prone to blowing than bolt guns. If you have bad ammo whether overcharged or squib(than fire another round), no matter what you are shooting its going to blow. When I was in Kali at the old range off Jeffreies during a DCM match guy was shooting a No4 mk1 Enfield and the bolt let go. It missed his face just barely and took out a headlight of the car parked behind him. Turns out his handloads were stout and a lug cracked on one shot and then the next shot the other cracked 3rd shot into the string flying bolt.
Mack

herrmann
08-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I once had an M2 carbine that blew a round into a million pieces into my brother's face. Luckily, he was wearing glasses or he would be blind. I don't know the cause. It cracked the stock.

Punch The Clown
08-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Stu,
You keep forgetting about those Low Number 03's out there. Personally I think autoloaders are not any more prone to blowing than bolt guns. If you have bad ammo whether overcharged or squib(than fire another round), no matter what you are shooting its going to blow. When I was in Kali at the old range off Jeffreies during a DCM match guy was shooting a No4 mk1 Enfield and the bolt let go. It missed his face just barely and took out a headlight of the car parked behind him. Turns out his handloads were stout and a lug cracked on one shot and then the next shot the other cracked 3rd shot into the string flying bolt.
Mack

Actually, from what I read the 03's brittle receiver thing was exaggerated. I forget the exact figures but their safety record was acceptable. My buddy Stan has a 91/30 with all matching #s. Anyway, the front lugs are the safety lugs on this rifle as they don't even contact the receiver. The safety lug sets his headspace! Precision piece of Soviet equipment.

Punch The Clown
08-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I once had an M2 carbine that blew a round into a million pieces into my brother's face. Luckily, he was wearing glasses or he would be blind. I don't know the cause. It cracked the stock.

Someone else around here recently had a carbine failure, but I can't remember who.

Dave Waits
08-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Kid, they've since found out that 'His Friend' charged the case with alot of fast-burning pistol-powder accidently. This is a wake-up call for reloading processes not semi-auto rifles.

M1orNone
08-13-2011, 11:52 PM
I can honestly say I've never had a kaboom before, that damaged the firearm, or cracked the stock. I'm glad I haven't, as I've seen some awe-inspiring disassembled guns in person. Most memorable was where a guy jammed a .303 Savage round into an old Model 99 chambered in .300 Savage. Blew the barrel, and left the action in about 10 different pieces. Turns out the guy dumped all the Red Dot into the case that he could, and then seated the bullet. The gunsmith played hell getting him to admit it. Made for an interesting conversation piece, though. ;)