PDA

View Full Version : scout scope recommendations

garandtom
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
hey fellas! I have the amega ranges scout mount on my 53 when i bought the mount i also got the scope they recommeded, Well I went to sight the gun in and put 5 rounds down range and everything the scope was loose. needless to say I want another scope What would you guys use?? I will be hunting elk with this gun so I need variable power.

wgandy
08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Hello garandtom!

Here's what I did: I put a BSA Edge 2x7 power pistol scope on mine. It was cheap ($79.95 plus shipping) and I was afraid that it wouldn't hold up. Well I've put about 150 rounds downrange using it and so far it has held up really well. Nothing has come loose or jarred out of place.

I only plan on target shooting with it. Since it is a pistol scope, target aquisition is more difficult than with a rifle scope. But my paper targets aren't going to run away so I'm ok with it.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/wgandy/Scout%20Scope%20Project/DSC_0007_1407-a-1-1.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/wgandy/Scout%20Scope%20Project/DSC_0008_1408-1.jpg

garandtom
08-09-2011, 12:05 AM
wgandy your gun is very sexy!! Mine looks just like it but with a synthetic stock. Ive decided on a Leupold FX-II Scout Rifle Scope 2.5x 28mm. They seem to be pretty popular. Thank you for the reply and again I love your gun!!

HighAngleHell
08-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Tom after a bunch of reading and research I was torn between the Burris Scout scope 2.75 and the Leupold 2.5
I decided on the Burris because it is shorter,lighter,a touch more magnification and a little cheaper(I found a used one for 200). The trade of is the leupold had a better field of view. Off the top of my head I believe the Leupold has 22' at 100 meters and the burris only has 15' at 100 meters.

garandtom
08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I went with the leupold 2.5x28 scout scope on, they clearist optics Ive ever looked through I highly reccommend!!

Rush2112
08-26-2011, 08:29 PM
hey fellas! I have the amega ranges scout mount on my 53 when i bought the mount i also got the scope they recommeded, Well I went to sight the gun in and put 5 rounds down range and everything the scope was loose. needless to say I want another scope What would you guys use?? I will be hunting elk with this gun so I need variable power.

Ensure that all of the mounts and screws are tight. Not enough to strip anything, but snug. Verify the Amega also.

I was using a Nightforce w/ LaRue mounts on an AR, and I was getting scary results. All of a sudden, the groups started to really spread out and I had to almost triple my elevation. Remounted the scope, etc. Gave me fits. Nominal torque recommended ~ 18 in/lbs. Eventually, I found that the quick release levers weren't as tight as they should be, and that LaRue recommends 30ish. I also use blue locktight.....

Tom after a bunch of reading and research I was torn between the Burris Scout scope 2.75 and the Leupold 2.5
I decided on the Burris because it is shorter,lighter,a touch more magnification and a little cheaper(I found a used one for 200). The trade of is the leupold had a better field of view. Off the top of my head I believe the Leupold has 22' at 100 meters and the burris only has 15' at 100 meters.
Also, IIRC, the Burris can focus the eyepiece for different eyes.....
I may get one also

cat1870
10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I just mounted a Leatherwood 2x7 on my 308 M1. So far it has worked great.