PDA

View Full Version : Another Garand Gas system question

Orlando
08-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Wonder why the gas port on a Garand is on the last inch of the barrel and on the M14, M1 Carbine, AR15 its in the middle of the barrel??
Ya I know I think to much sometimes

Eli
08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Older design really. Browning used a flapper under the muzzle of a Winchester to create his auto-loaders, so everybody put the gas under the barrel near the muzzle for a long time!

Eli

timshufflin
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I believe that it's one of the reasons that the Garand is more accurate out of the box. You have less time that stuff is moving/acted on while the bullet is in the barrel. What I wonder though is why Garand did not use a 16" barrel, drop down gas cylinder, and straight oprod. His rifle would have been worlds better.

Orlando
08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
There ya go Shuff. IMO thats also the reason it "may" be possible to increase accuracy with the adjustable GS. Get it timed so that the Op Rod doesnt move until the last possible milisecond ?

REHRIFLE
08-14-2011, 08:32 PM
There ya go Shuff. IMO thats also the reason it "may" be possible to increase accuracy with the adjustable GS. Get it timed so that the Op Rod doesnt move until the last possible milisecond ?

Isn't that what the gas plug currently does? You open it up 'till it doesn't cycle, then back it off until it will cycle. The two popular adjustable plugs on the market most likely do not have the ability to adjust at such at a small degree to really make a difference on accuracy though.

musketjon
08-14-2011, 11:03 PM
OK,
Someone PLEASE shoot their GD rifle with the eff'ing adjustable gas plug. I'm telling you it won't do a damn thing for the accuracy. The bullet is L-O-N-G gone out of the barrel before the op rod even starts to move. Come on, PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!!!! I double-dog dare ya'.
Jon

Orlando
08-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Jon,
You may be right, gonna do some testing soon. Will post results

musketjon
08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Orlando,
Thanks. I'll be waiting with baited breath (what ever the Hell that is).
Jon