PDA

View Full Version : Garand scope mount question

cat1870
08-19-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm getting ready to scope my Garand. I will be mounting a Leatherwood 2x7 scope over the barrel so as not to interfere with loading, nor do I want a side mounted scope.. What is the best mount to use?

Thanks,

Cat

mixmaster
08-19-2011, 10:43 PM
There is a scope mount that CMP once sold that replaced the rear sight and mounted the scope to the side. I can't remember who made it but it is still on sale but not at CMP. Maybe one of the other forum members can come up with the manufacturer. You needed a cheek piece as the scope is offset to the left. It works just fine but mine has no name brand on it.I will try to find out who made it and post it if I find it.
Mix

mixmaster
08-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Checked and found the scope mount for sale on the Fulton Armory web sight. Take a look and see if this might be what you want.
Mix

cat1870
08-20-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm looking for a good mount that will mount the scope over the barrel, in front of the receiver.
I shoot left handed and can't use a side mounted scope nor do I wish to remove the rear sight....

wgandy
08-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Cat1870,
There's only two that I know of for the garand that meets your qualifications: Super Scout - Fulton Armory (mixmaster mentioned it earlier) and the Mini-scout Amega mount.

I've got the Fulton Armory because it normally sells for around $150 and I bought it from a guy on another forum for about $100. They both work about the same I think.

From experience here are some things to consider:
1) eye relief of the scope - it must be at least 10-12 inches (I'm not familiar with the scope you mentioned so it may be ok)
2) get the lowest rings you can and still mount the scope. The higher the rings the more you will lose your normal cheek weld to the butt stock.
3) you may want to go ahead and get a see thru scope lense cover. My garand throws the brass anywhere from 11 o'clock all the way to 3 o'clock. Before I got the cover I was bouncing brass off the rear lense of the scope.

Here's a picture of mine prior to getting the scope lense covers:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/wgandy/Scout%20Scope%20Project/DSC_0005_1405.jpg

garandtom
08-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I put The amega ranges scout mount on my 53 and the optics I went with was leupold scout scope. Holds zero nicely!

axemurderer
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
I have the Amega Ranges on my Mini-G, and love it. There is also an other scout mount that is lower and I have heard you may be able to co-witness the standard sights but I can not verify the co-witness.

Mike