Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gotta vent

I gotta vent

I just found out the county I live in has redone their flood plain maps. Those in it now if you have a Mortgage have to get flood insurance, if you dont it will be considered a default on your loan.
    Guess what I am now in the area, no freakin way! There is a river (small creek really) probably 1/2 mile or farther away from my house. We have had some of the heaviest rains this spring I have seen in 26 years we have lived here. The water came out of the banks and went into the city park maybe 100 feet at maybe a depth of 12 inches at the deepest.
    The new flood plain area never has flooded ever, and not even close to flooding
    Most of the houses between me and the river are not in the flood plain, makes sense right? It starts at the corner of my house and runs several blocks away from the river/creek. Even though my actual house isnt in the flood plain as it cuts across the corner of my lot I would still be required to get insurance!!
    My Mortgage is paid so I am supposeably exempt from getting insurance but if and when I decide to sell this will only make my property worth less
    If I want to fight their findings I have to file ,pay $1000 and prove they are wrong!! I hear they have been working for 8 years updating these maps and I would only have 90 days to prove them wrong.
    I understand the Govt is probably tired of bailing out people who decide to build houses in a high prone area for disasters but this is completely unbeleiveable. Just leave me the heck alone and let me live in peace!!
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    Flood insurance is a gov't program to begin with, so best way to increase revenue is to make more people (who will never file a claim) buy it! Brilliant! Soon we'll all have to buy it just like healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Flood insurance is a gov't program to begin with, so best way to increase revenue is to make more people (who will never file a claim) buy it! Brilliant! Soon we'll all have to buy it just like healthcare.
    What I meant was FEMA is tired of bailing people out and rightly so. Build your house on a cliff and it falls over, build a home in a swamp where it will flood why should my taxes help build you another.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    What I meant was FEMA is tired of bailing people out and rightly so. Build your house on a cliff and it falls over, build a home in a swamp where it will flood why should my taxes help build you another.
    I love watching TV after a natural disaster and all of the weepy heroes are out in full force claiming how much they love the location and how they are soooo determined to build again on the same spot.

I just want to reach through the television, grab them by the shoulders and scream, "YOU ARE A F@&%ING MORON! Why should my insurance premiums and tax rates be affected because you can't live without a scenic vista and the smell of rotting horseshoe crabs?"

The best ones have had to rebuild several times through several generations. I want to tell those special cases that Great Grampa Cletus has set them up for failure by being an inept human being and building the family homestead in a hotbed of natural disaster.

Then I would ask all of them if they know the definition of insanity.

Yeah, Orlando touched on one of my pet peeves...

Insurance sons a bitches... too, don't get me started on the root cause of the problem. Gosh darn rackateering is what it is...

Talk about a fleecing... sheesh...

Extortion even...

<Walks off grumbling to himself about polecats and how high one can stack feces>
    Last edited by Jimbo Slice; 08-14-2014 at 06:54 PM.

"inept human being"

You're almost there but you still call them human beings.

Well, since it wasn't in the war room I figured I ought to tone it down. I'll try better next time Sir.

Founding Member
    Orlando and jimbo, yeap you hit a nerve with most of us poor working slobs..The flood plain has been raised here too..fema is trying to fatten the coffers and make nearly anyone buy flood insurance..I buy Earthquake insurance, it is climbing and the coverage has very high deductables..i live in a Brick home on one of the highest areas for hundreds of miles..My BH is looking at Miss. for us a new retirement home...the flood plain down there is scary at best...trying to get the real data is a joke..as the agent is either not knowing, ignorant or just devious...when it comes to future insurance on a purchase...One house we just looked at a neighbor volunteered and said' the water this year had been chest deep across the road'.?? "Don't worry Son the Gov. will help you out if you are in trouble." OG out..

Ya, the "river" that could possibly flood out my whole town is maybe 15 ft or so across, a foot - foot and half average depth. Its a real raging torrent

Fight the power?

Can you get an elevation certificate? What does the FEMA flood map say?

Eli