Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post
What's the late 1700's equivelant to a Liberal?
I'm not sure what group, in the 1700s, was running around championing the causes of abortion, gay marriage, green energy, class warfare, big government, affirmative action, wasteful spending...I guess the closest thing would be royalty.

Back to the original topic. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. The Constitution is simply a piece of paper. To actually apply it to our everyday lives, it must be "interpreted." Whether or not this wording is found in it does not make it untrue; it's common sense. The Constitution was written broadly enough, by the FF, that it would remain relevant as time passed; but its relevancy is dependent on the wisdom of those who study and apply it.

The SCOTUS is responsible for interpreting laws, including the supreme law of the land, the Constitution. It's in every civics textbook I've ever read, 90% of the Google hits I get, and as close as you can get to common knowledge. Legislative branch writes laws, judicial branch interprets them, Executive branch enforces them...ask any schoolkid, in any city in America, and that's what they'll answer (if they did their homework).

The fact is, it's not your, or my, opinion of what the Constitution means that matters. We're just people with opinions, and for every one that says "A," you can find another that says "B." The only ones whose opinions matter, officially, at least, are our elected officials, and by extension their appointees, who have standing to say what it means or doesn't mean. It's great when "our" guy wins, and it sucks when he loses, but that's what you get in a represtative democracy...it's the very essence of the American way.