Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should a BM59 receiver look like and fit like?

Administrator Photobucket timshufflin's Avatar
    Thanks

What should a BM59 receiver look like and fit like?

With all this fuss about the BM59 receivers, guns, blah blah blah for sale, it is important to answer some of the questions I've had about what is Hoyle in a BM59 receiver. "Hoyle" means by the book to those that don't play poker.

Here are some photo's of what a BM59 receiver mod should look like if it is supposed to look like a "Real" BM59. We can only take this mod so far though, we cannot put the left side receiver cut out in for the selector and we probably cannot put the right side receiver cut out in. Without further a-due, here are photo's of a BM59 mod from my shop.

Finally, I do not anneal and then reharden my receivers. I spend the money on Carbide end mills and leave the USGI hardness as it was in all the vital areas. If this is important to you, check with your builder to see how they do it. If it is not important, no worries.

By the way, if someone wants a receiver that just takes a BM59 magazine but has nothing else in common with what a BM59 receiver should look like, it's much less expensive to do.

I felt everyone should know what the differences are in what will "work" and what actually works AND looks right.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timshufflin For This Useful Post:

Brinks352 (05-27-2013), Eli (03-07-2012), Orlando (03-08-2012), VitSports6 (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info and pics.
    I can only dream of the day you will be destroying a piece of Amercian history for my build
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Thanks for the info and pics.
    I can only dream of the day you will be destroying a piece of Amercian history for my build

No problem Orlando, if anyone has any questions about this build, and the various sub categories of the build, just ask. I will not give measurements or angles of some of the stuff on the receiver or barrels etc. because, besides my speed, actually knowing some of this stuff is the only competitive advantage I have.

Did you all know that you can have an E kit turned into a standard BM59? Yep, I can cut that barrel down and move out your lower band .5" for you, put on a Standard Parts 59 cylinder and brake, maybe even a bipod, now you have something very bad looking and you can use a standard Garand stock instead of the POS's that come in the E kit. I know stuff, take advantage of that.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timshufflin For This Useful Post:

Eli (03-07-2012), Old Guard (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Here are some of a factory Beretta BM62 for comparison:

Tim will be getting a Garand from me as soon as I can afford to do so!

Eli

Thanks
    Eli, you see how on the bolt stop side the real deal has the skirt cut between the front leg and the 8mm hole? I can easily do that cut BUT it scares the hell out of me. When putting a barrel on, there's just not much left for the action wrench to grab on. I'm terribly worried about the snapping either side of the remaining skirt.

Does this make sense, that is, do you see my worry? The only way I can see relieving this fear is if the barrel is lathe cut so that it indexes, hand tight, closer to 12o'clock.

I'm trying to remember the example Mike sent me, I don't even know if his had the bolt stop side skirt cut or not. The cut certainly makes it easier to install the front mag catch. I do know that all the 62's I've seen have had that cut.

Thanks
    Yeah, I see it, is it of any real consequence? I think perhaps they were only trying to lighten the receiver?
    Is this the area you're referring to? The picture is a very early production Beretta-modified Springfield gun.
    pix714937765.jpg
    I have more pictures of the same gun I 'borrowed' from somewhere during my research on the subject of BM59s, if anybody cares to see.

Eli

Thanks
    That's exactly the spot I'm talking about and I believe that ALL the leg angle cuts and skirt cuts were to decrease weight. As far as I can tell, the only cuts really needed for the receiver were;

1. For the front mag catch, the 8mm pin hole and the side keyways in the follower area.
    2. For the magazine itself, the oprod side front square cut in the skirt.
    3. On the inside of the legs, all the milling related to allowing the magazine to enter the receiver.
    4. Inside the clip latch cut out, everything was needed except the big expanded hole at the bottom. Very important to widen on the correct side of the clip cut window.

The rest of the cuts, all the angles, are part of making the receiver lighter and if you want a receiver to not only act the part, you want the angles to look the part.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to timshufflin For This Useful Post:

Old Guard (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Eli or Mike Baker, Either of you have this dimension?
    Edit, Mike states .7655

Thanks

Thanks
    I don't have it, and no Beretta receiver any more

Eli